Thread: crazy squirrel

1. Default crazy squirrel

Featured Sponsor

I had a call one night from a friend who lived in a trailer on the little red river. He said i know you're going to think i'm crazy but a squirrel has chewed up my service neutral. I told him i would be by the next day. I got there & sure enough a crazy squirrel had chewed up his 1/0 overhead service neutral & had chewed up half of a # 2 sidebuster fitting. anything shinny. I changed out the service. 2 wks later my friend called & said he did it again & my lights are very dim. After A LITTLE HEAD SCRACHING i told Eddy my friend I'm going to get some conduit and run your service through it. The service was only 30 ft long. I also taped up any shinny connectors at the pot. that took care of mr crazy squirrel.

Used to have a lot of that in south Arkansas.........used the conduit trick more than once, unless it ran thru a bunch of trees!!!

Replaced a span of 1/0-3 secondary one day to cure a squirrel problem.....2 weeks later, the dang tree rat had chewed thru the dang neutral again......this was after the company quit buying cable with the 7/1 neutral and was just buying the dang AAAC neutral........

kinda broke spec and ran a single 1/0ACSR for the neutral and patched the AAC neutral up.........

their loss, my gain.....job security........
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Default squirrel

I had the same problem down here in Texas.They chew up services neutrals,squeeze-on's,eyes off nite lites.I was told they chew on the stuff to keep the teeth short???

Default Damn Squirrels.....

Featured Sponsorr

We chew cuz we can..........