Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What all?

Default What all?

Featured Sponsor

What have you tried working at? Here's my list.

Grew up on a farm etc. so all kinds of farm labor.

USN awhile. Gunners Mate on a Cruiser. Then Ma. Bell for 18 months. Tel. lineman. Then college a short stint. Then Ma. Bell for 2 1/2 years. Then college again. Never did finish. Clerked at a Monkey Ward store. Remember them? Tried selling life insurance. These previous two were while in college. Also a bar tender while in college, like one guy said ought to have been worth some credits in psychology. Then da dum de dum. Got into electrical linework with a rat contractor. The rest is history as they say. 36 years of it an out on the street. Damn near forgot, also the last year with Ma. Bell, was a cable splicer. I remember when I quit I was making $105.50 for a 40 hr. week. That was in Ok. City after 4 years experience. Big money. I don't know why but they always listed your pay weekly instead of hrly. Kind of a trick I thought. I remember I started as what they called an unlocated lineman for $53.50 per wk. The only good thing was they paid your room and board 24 seven. Needless to say that our expenses were quite a bit more than our wages. Ma. Bell was a cheap Mother in those days. I think my first Elect. linehand pay was $3.25 per. hr.
    Last edited by wtdoor67; 04-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Default Speaking of pool.

I remember this old Choctaw kid where I grew up. His speciality was snooker. He was so damn good no one would play him unless spotted about 60 points. Never saw him lose. What an eye. Pool was child's play for him. Booze got him eventually I was told. What a waste. A good guy.

*cough* *ahem* I've played me some mean snooker a good bit as a teenager. Lots of eight ball too.

Worked on a farm as long as I can remember as a young girl. Which meant driving a tractor, truck, lawn mower.....all around the age of 9 or so. The tractor and the old jeep were the easiest at that age though.

When I was around 15 I started working in the tobacco fields and worked the warehouses as bookkeeper. Then in the winter of my 16th year I worked in my Uncles clothing store. Then on to college and working at McDonald's part time.

Around 19 I started working at the tel. co. as an operator. Old switchboard style....I'm sure Danny remembers that! I worked there until laid off in '83. Started at Barnett Bank and just about worked most dept's there for close to 10 yrs.

I quit there right before my father died and ended up helping my family some. Worked part time at a local bank and then not long after that I started in the public education system. I've been in it for 17 yrs now.

Doesn't look like much, but then I'm not as old as some of you guys. Hehehehe....

Lawn work, dishwasher,cook, waiter, bartender, Building materials Mgr f/ K-Mart, drywaller, purchasing agent, tree trimmer, musician, lineman.

I mowed yards and helped split firewood, helped cut and haul hay, and worked at my neighbors gas station, pumping gas, changing oil, fixin flats, fixed a bunch of em on billet trucks and washed them every saturday, when I was 16, I grunted and helped hand dig 11 pole holes for some 90 ftrs, Dad and some of the hands that worked for him (AP&L) built a new lighting system at the local college ball field, at 16 I wasn't supposed to even be on the job, but the old man paid me $4/hr, but I damn sure earned every penny!!

Then I graduated and did a semester of college (summer school) and worked as a root chunker and swamper on a pipeline job, and in the fall, Uncle Sam was calling, so I enlisted in the Air force, and they decided they want me to be a lineman, did that for 7 years, 3 of those teaching at the USAF Line school, got out in 77, and worked for a co-op at $5.74/hr for a couple of years, then hired on with AP&L (now Entergy/Arkansas) in May of 80, as a 4th yr ape, at $13 something/hr and retired from them last year as a T-man
    making $30/hr...............
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

I cut grass and worked 45 hours a week at a body shop at 16 and 17, then welded briefly at 18 then started linework at 18 3/4 years old

Tried college for a few years but the allure of the pool hall got the better of me,damn shame they didnt have a class on that I cudda made me an A. Sold a little Life insurance...... Damn little, LOL.Then i got into air conditioner installation and repair, did ok with that but a kid happened and I needed benefits so I hired on with Gulf States Utilities as a helper makin a whole whoppin 3.15 cents an hour.I maybe supplemented my income with air conditioning side jobs til i started climbin and then there was no time for side jobs. I left there in 2005 and did nothing for a few months which I seemed to be good at, But I went back to work doing the construction side of it and have been at it ever since, seriously thinkin bout hangin em up for good in the next few months.

paper boy, sales, cook, bouncer, boot legger, lineman
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

Worked in a shoe factory, a sporting goods store, material handler (laborer) in a factory then into line work as a 1st year apprentice, $2.35 per hour.

Featured Sponsorr

Paperboy, car washer at a dealer, lot boy at another dealer, grease monkey, worked in a liquor store, delivered parts for a dealer, worked as a gas station attendant (filling cars with gas, washing windows, checking oil (earl for my friends south of here) checking tire pressure etc.) got in the Air Force and when I got out needed a job and the power company was hiring and in 4 days after 40+ years I'll pull the plug and who knows what I'll do next