Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pressing sleves

1. Default pressing sleves

Featured Sponsor

when you make your presses on 60 kv do you leave a gap between or do you lap them

2. Default

I would overlap on all transmission and subtransmission voltages. Most manufacturers send their recommendations along with their product. Is there a steel insert? What size is the wire?

3. Default

the wire is 715 accr.

overlap them so it is smooth and solid....

if you leave burrs... file them off...

if it is under tension start from the center and work your way out... leave the bag on to help cut down on the "banana" effect... theres another thread somewhere on here about sleeve straighteners...

the reason you overlap on transmission and sub transmission is to reduce corona and extra frequencies... corona can end up "cutting" the sleeve eventually burning it down... extra freak can fug up peoples radio and tv reception... and even mess up relays at various switching and sub stations...

for what it's worth...

Edge
    Last edited by Edge; 03-13-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: didn't feel like fuggin with swimpy...

5. Default

thanks for the info, the problem we were having is the wire was birdcaging if we went from the center out, so we tried pressing the end first and went to the center and that worked. hopefully no problems down the road.

app. john, first to answer I would need to know what type press you are using. When you told us the wire size it become evident that you might be using a 60 ton press. Making dead ends and splices is an art. No one wants any monkey food left, when they get done. I overlap my presses. You should have enough experienced help teaching you the technique that you should not have to ask here. What step are you?

7. Default

3rd step.We don't do much transmission work,and the lineman was unsure.

if your splicing in a span don't ever crimp in anything other then from then center out... under tension press center out...

the only thing you'll "seal" is a failed crimp

you might get away with it in a loop under but why cut corners when you and do right>

for what it's worth...

Edge

if you press under tension then it should be done from the center out and overlapped. the only time i've pressed from the conductor end to the "start" was on jumper paddles and loop sleeves. you should be able to press you steel core and come off of your rigging to press your aluminum body. this will completely eliminate the bananas.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

Featured Sponsorr

As Edge mentioned, NEVER back press a sleeve that's under tension! There's a reason why the sleeve has a line and something that says; 'start here'.

If it has a steel core, press your steel first over lapping your ends (with half laps). Then come out of your rigging, hoist, grips, etc., and then press your body. The wire is bird cagging because it has no where to run.

And before you begin, soap the hell out of your sleeves, or use some PAM non-stick cooking spray to help with preventing the 'banana' and burs. And then use a little starting fluid or brake cleaner to shine em' up!