Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Union Clout

Question Union Clout

Featured Sponsor

No doubt about it, my fellow union workers, our political clout is not what it once was. Even with a so-called " labor friendly " congress much of our agenda, which would provide major gains for labor, seems to have fallen victim to Republican't obstructionism. Healthcare reform has faded, passage of EFCA appears slim, a NLRB with a worker advantage instead of a corporate one has encountered a setback and a jobs bill that falls short of our expectations passed this week in the senate. We haven't mobilized against the "tea party" activists as we should have and Americans favorable view of unions has fallen. Have we become too comfortable, too individualistic, too non-caring to make a difference anymore. Are the politicians we send to fight for us lacking in the necessary testicular fortitude to take on and defeat our enemies the "Republican Party" or are they just more of the same. We had better pull our heads out of the sand or other places were the sun don't shine and show once again that we are a force to be reckoned with. Mobilize, Organize or Fade-Away, the choice is ours.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

Great post, wud........and very true, we have gotten complacent as a group, and many members tend to stand on the sideline and bi+ch about what is wrong with their local or the international, and not become active and do the work that needs to get done to strengthen and grow organized labor. You quoted "Mother Jones" in your other post.....that woman went to jail many times and fought for the unions in a time where being pro union could cost you your life, not just cause a bit of inconvenience in your life. As union members, we should everyday ask ourselves, what would our life be like without the "union", and what can I do right now to further the cause of "fair and safe compensation for workers united under that cause?" It might be something as simple as talking to an acquantence about the "facts" of organized labor and what is actually going on in corporate America today(although thanks to the recent downturn in the economy, and the exposure of unethical business practices among the head honchos, people seem to be getting a glimpse of where the problem lies). Talk to the young people who dont know anything about organized labor. Become stewards, run for office. Get active.....and most of all dont be one of those members that give unionism a bad name to the public. No bullying, no disrespect to un-unionized workers, no apathy, no sense of entitlement or elitism. Act in a manner that pays tribute to the organization you belong to, it is not a club, but an organization with a "righteous cause."
    And when it comes down to it....be ready to fight for what you believe is right. Walk the walk, dont just talk the talk. This is a monumental fight, and it wont be easy.....they want to break us......but standing together we can become an unmovable, unbreakable force. It seems we can not truly depend on anyone but ourselves to "have our back", does that mean we cant win? Hell no, but it is up to us, the members of "organized labor" to fight "the good fight".........together..........
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Thumbs up Let's Get Started

Where do we start, with so much that needs addressed? To begin with we need to start at the "Local" level, be it your union or the community you live in. Get involved, attend your union meetings and your city council meetings this is where it all begins. Show your union pride, organize rallys (no matter how small) just do something, something is better than nothing. I would like to see a solidarity rally held sometime around the Labor Day weekend, just a couple of months prior to the 2010 elections. Let's expose our enemies for what they are "greedy corporate pawns!" How about this to send a message. Don't go to work on the day after Labor Day 2010. Tuesday Sept.7th BLUE FLU DAY, we'll see if they have a vaccine for this outbreak. Shut the country down for a day (since we don't matter anymore who will notice.) We have forgotten the sacrifices made by those you came before us, they are the ones who are responsible for the establishment of middle-class America and the livelihood's we enjoy today as union members. LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

A National Rally is a GREAT idea! I see a couple of 459 linemen online right now, good union men, good workers, and I am sure they would agree it is time to take a stand, make our voices heard, and show we are ONE! Show that we will fight for what we believe in, and we believe in what others fought and died for in the past to give us what we have today. A day to show union pride and solidarity.

I for one will mention the idea to our BM...........and others should do the same........We are organized labor and it is time to show everyone what "Solidarity" really means, not just in the local, but all across this country. That should send a message loud and clear.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Thumbs up Solidarity Rally 2010

This site is were it all begins. Let's hear some feedback on organizing a Labor rally to show our Solidarity. September 2010 is the month. It's time to show America what really matters, its workers, not the corporations or their greed driven pawns. It is up to us, nobody else can do what needs to be done. MOBILIZE & ORGANIZE. 189 days and counting!

As long as it can't be turned into a Union/nonunion competition! We need to remember ALL LABOR as the media I'm sure would love to drive a wedge between us workers!!

I'm in!

Man I can't wait to see what Swampy thinks! His poor greedy capitalist cooperate pukes!

Oh! So You Say Go For It Right??
    Last edited by MI-Lineman; 03-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Thumbs up Union Clout - The IBEW Way

Though union density is around 12% nationally, we as electrical workers control a much larger market share than any other labor organization. And here's the real kicker, we maintain, build and control the most complex system in the world, the US power grid. If we mobilize like I know we can and do what needs to be done we can send a hell of a message to all who want to do us harm. Everyone of us need to find a little bit of "HENRY MILLER" in ourselves. We owe it to all who came before us and made the sacrifices that lead to the livelihoods that we enjoy today. I'll soon be heading into the homestretch of a career that I would not trade for anything and thanks to our brothers and sisters who fought the REAL battles before us the linehands of my generation have known little hardship and a hell of alot of prosperity. We need to insure that those who come after us recieve the same. It's worth the fight, so let's take it to our enemies and settle this anti-union BS once and for all. MOBILIZE & ORGANIZE! BLUE FLU Tuesday 9/7/2010.

Im new so explain to me simply what the republicans do to hurt the unions?

And what is it the democrats want to do for the unions that the republicans wont?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Blast View Post
    Im new so explain to me simply what the republicans do to hurt the unions?

And what is it the democrats want to do for the unions that the republicans wont?
    Simple reply......."Jim Bunting".