Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default Outside construction transmisson portability

Featured Sponsor

I would like to hear what other outside construction hands think of transmission portability. Have you talked to your hall, what is their take on the matter? Are you one of them?

I've heard many arguments for and against, I cannot say I agree with 100% portability. I can see when a job starts bringing in a core group, it is hard to put a number on how many. If you say 10 hands that’s 2 crews, I’ve been on some small jobs where that would be enough hands, no locals or travelers get off the books. Maybe a percentage based would work. As far as bringing in hands once a job is under way, I would have to say “CALL THE HALL” If the hall cannot provide the hands in a timely manner, ok port someone in. But then the companies cannot keep all the company hands working when jobs end and you then end up with guys laying in the weeds never signing the books. Is this any better?

There are a lot of hands on the books (book 1 and 2) everywhere, yet companies are still porting guys around (some are book 3). Some locals are trying to stop it. I hear the IU is coming out with a new letter. Is 100% portability right or wrong?

I dont believe in 100% portability.Some portability is alright but how about a ratio like 2 men called off the books for every one ported that way some book 1 and maybe some book 2 guys get referred to work too. I dont think jobs should ever go to book 3 when boos 1 and 2 are loaded up.

3. Default

The book 3 thing is another topic. I heard Wilson out in 77 (Washington) has a book 3 working on the 500KV line, ports him around never has to go to the hall. Also heard that he has less than 8000 hours in the trade, hell most apprenticeship are almost 8000 hours. I guess he has some SPECIAL skill so that keeps him working. If he is so special why don’t they just have him take the JL test. Portability is one thing, Book 3 hands another (Good for them, welcome them, help them, test them) Porting Book 3 hands that’s JUST @$#@$*)^$#@!*%)%!%^ WRONG!!!!!! Sorry

Default Highline

They say there is going to be some highline work this year in my local but I'm sure there will be alot of that going on if they want to bring in GFs and Formans ok but all hands should be called off the books...
    Last edited by west coast hand; 02-22-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Default Wilson

Wilson ports in all there hands and have a bunch of white ticket. Henkles is the sameway it's a joke???
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

i say bring guys off the books in the hall. if they can't cut it, get some more off the books. there are way to many guys, hard workers with many years in the trade sitting to let companies hand pick their brown nosing favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Have bag will travel View Post
    The book 3 thing is another topic. I heard Wilson out in 77 (Washington) has a book 3 working on the 500KV line, ports him around never has to go to the hall. Also heard that he has less than 8000 hours in the trade, hell most apprenticeship are almost 8000 hours. I guess he has some SPECIAL skill so that keeps him working. If he is so special why don’t they just have him take the JL test. Portability is one thing, Book 3 hands another (Good for them, welcome them, help them, test them) Porting Book 3 hands that’s JUST @$#@$*)^$#@!*%)%!%^ WRONG!!!!!! Sorry
    You bet he's got a special skill,,,,gulp gulp gulp!!!

Post Portability

Most CBA's contain some level of portability, the amount varies from local to local. 100% portability which is now being pushed is a crock of sh*t. How in the hell can they justify working all travellers while the local hands sit? No problem with a contractor bringing in a FEW of their steady Eddies but 100% is going to cause a lot of problems at the local level especially if the local has done their job and controls the majority of the market share. Have listened to union contractors bitch for years about not being able to compete with the rats because the rats can move their same workforce wherever they want without any stipulations. I guess the determining factor in regards to the amount of portability allowed should be how well the local has controlled their work. The lower the market share the higher the portability and vice-versa.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

100% portability hurts everyone, except the contractor. I don't like it, and I don't agree with it! And with that being said, laying in the weeds is a bunch of garbage as well! It does nothing but hurt the guys sitting on the books.

I think local 47 and 1245 need to change that. The contract states that you can remain job attached for 30 days before you have to report back to work. I would like to see it be two weeks instead.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by west coast hand View Post
    Wilson ports in all there hands and have a bunch of white ticket. Henkles is the sameway it's a joke???
    It's ALL of the contractors, especially the Kansas City Connection, hint hint THE BIG RED MACHINE!!! And you know who I'm refering too!