1. Default Not sure where your union rep stands!

Featured Sponsor

I hate to bring up this, but I feel I need to throw it out there. I have an assistant business agent that is also a company foreman too. He seems that he has th union in his best interest right until there is a manager present, a decission to be made, or he has to get the job done. As a lineman I have worked for this foreman several times. I have confornted him everytime about being a company man or a union man. He just laughs like it is some sort of job humor. The sad thing is that I am serious as a heart attack with him. He is so job scared and nervous that he might make the wrong call and the company will hang him. That more often than not he will just side in the favor of the company. When serious unions issues come up he will skirt by them. Throwing out a "Well we, call it a safety concern." most of the time it is not even the point. Or he will avoid standing up to supervision for the men. At times appears to be bothered by being asked a simple question. He just wants to jump to the next company task. It is almost embarrassing to have this guy as our union rep. I feel that he would be better suited as a manager for our company. Something needs to be done, but what I am not sure what. Our hall doesn't seem to be concerned with it. Any advise would be great.

Exclamation Vote!

Most local by-laws will allow you to evict a member if you have grounds to prove he is not performing his duties for the good of the union. Read your By-Laws get concrete evidence and pursue your member rights. Remember the Union works for us and we all have the right to keep it in check. also remember you can lobby and vote in favor of your members, this is important!!!!
    Ok lineman

i'll take it step further. should a general foreman, working foreman, lead lineman, cheif lineman, or whatever you want to call him even be allowed to be either a assistant business agent or union steward on a job. i realize they are dues paying members with job classifications in the bargaining agreement which entitles them to hold the aba or steward position. having said that, they are now also holding a position for the company where they are responsible for production on the job. i don't feel as though most guys can do both effectively. i do think those jobs are bargaing unit jobs and can be held by union lineman. as far as being an aba or steward that is a unique position that should be held by someone with only the unions interest in mind. sounds to me like the guy you got in there needs to take a suck.

Quote Originally Posted by knotskeart View Post
    i'll take it step further. should a general foreman, working foreman, lead lineman, cheif lineman, or whatever you want to call him even be allowed to be either a assistant business agent or union steward on a job. i realize they are dues paying members with job classifications in the bargaining agreement which entitles them to hold the aba or steward position. having said that, they are now also holding a position for the company where they are responsible for production on the job. i don't feel as though most guys can do both effectively. i do think those jobs are bargaing unit jobs and can be held by union lineman. as far as being an aba or steward that is a unique position that should be held by someone with only the unions interest in mind. sounds to me like the guy you got in there needs to take a suck.
    I believe in Detroit they wanted journeyman only to be stewards as foreman was considered supervision? Been a while but maybe someone from there can expound on this? Definately would vote him out if he is makin poor judgement calls AGAINST the Union and it's contract!! "Unbecoming of a Union member" is what I call it!

5. Default

You are right Knot, but the problem is he sort would enjoy the taking a suck he doesn't think that he is anything but UNION. We just need t bring out some how and get him out. Foreman shouldn't be allowed to do aba or Stewart job. I along with other men feel that they are not able to do the best for the union.

A good foreman will stick up for his men and a bad one will lettem be shod on.In My local they wont accept anyone foreman or above as a job steward because its gonna put em in a pinch point eventually.But with that said there are bylaws that will allow members to file charges on fellow members that are not doing the unions business in an acceptable fashion.Once charges are filed the BA has no excuse for not investigating them .I bleve I would have a frank conversate with the feller in question and splain my intentions should he lay down on ya and let him decide wheter he is union or management.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    A good foreman will stick up for his men and a bad one will lettem be shod on.In My local they wont accept anyone foreman or above as a job steward because its gonna put em in a pinch point eventually.But with that said there are bylaws that will allow members to file charges on fellow members that are not doing the unions business in an acceptable fashion.Once charges are filed the BA has no excuse for not investigating them .I bleve I would have a frank conversate with the feller in question and splain my intentions should he lay down on ya and let him decide wheter he is union or management.
    GOOD IDEA!!

Featured Sponsorr

Been a union rep for 3 years now, I was invited to joing the State Councill and the executive as well. Only had a few minor issues to deal with till a few weeks ago when we got confirmation that the companies contract had been cancelled. Its now you realise what it is to be a Union Rep. everyone has questions and wants answers (quite rightly) and you soon realise that if you don't do it and you don't take and interest to help your mates out when they need it you are in the wrong position. Not sure what or how your laws in the US work but here it is a criminal offence to discriminate against a Union Rep. and have yet to see any retaliation at myself of fellow rep. Our Union Organisers have been great and help to many in assisting to find alternate jobs for guys but the reality is some guys will be out of work for some time and some will head into retirement. Your Rep. sounds like he is playing both sides of the fence tell him to make a choice "the Boss or us" if he won't well get another person in there to do the job. Can you guys have more than one Rep depending on the number of employees...
    From the pole to the hole and both sides of the meter....