Threaded View

1. Default union utilities vs union contractors

I have worked for a power company and i am now a contractor. The question i have is why does it seem like we are seperated from each other. i notice that there is some type division between union utility workers and union contractors and i can not find a valid reason why this is. I really think that even though we are from different locals we are still all IBEW and if we as contractors stood by utility workers during there contract negotiations and vise versa that it would benifit all of us. I think that if the power company is union then it should be in there contract that only union contractors should be on the property unless its a state of emergency similar to centerpoints contract in houston. also i think that all the locals(contractor and powercompany) should meet once a quarter to handle all issues that effect that area as a whole. for example florida local 222, progress,fpl,teco locals, etc. the saying is united we stand divided we fall. well right now its a free fall. I know we have different contracts and thats fine we shouldn't step into eachothers contracts but we should stand by eachothers contracts in larger numbers. I really believe that this would change the way the game is played. I'm sure this idea will stir the pot but i would like to hear what everyones input is.