Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down FPL Layoffs & Buy outs

Featured Sponsor

I heard FPL is may be having some cut backs .
    Linemanblood

Heard isnt the word for what FPL is doing......FPL is cutting back! FPL is one of the best companies in the world about putting up window dressing to make things look like they are ok from the outside, but on the inside a storm is brewing! Years and years ago FPL cut back damned near 400 field personnel and guess what.....they are gonna do it again! I worked the FPL system for a few years and felt bad for their linemen because despite the fact that we got all the shit work....we had it better than their own linemen did! I came to Nebraska to work for a utility because they ran out all the contractors other than powerserve and AUS in melbourne. Can anyone take a guess a to why they did that? I can.....they have to run the contractors out before they can axe any field personnel! Anyone who cant see that can surf right on over to FPL's website and search back as far as they want to see what they are doing! FPL is hiring like hell but all the positions are non union admin jobs. I had a lineman tell me a long time ago that FPL stood for Fu*&ing People Legally........guess ol' Mr. Jordan was right!

3. Default

local84 i got your post about fpl. what you are saying is true. fpl is lookin to layoff 1500 in house so they have removed all union contractors and most of the non union contractors from there property. the question im really trying to find out is if there hands have agreed on a new contract yet. im assuming they have not and that is part of fpls plan to scare there guys into taking a bad contract deal to keep there jobs. i also heard that fpl hands want it in there contract that only union hands can work on there property. unless there is a state of emergency. similar to centerpoints contract in houston. wishful thinking i know but i hope they stand by it. im gonna put up another post to get more opinions on that kind of contract. if its a union utility they should only use union contractors.

Basically contractors have nothing to do with a utilities labor agreement. In order to get to that point the utility hands would hafta lose sumpin to gain that.Now If you were dealing strictly with Linemen it might fly. But you are also looking at clerical, storeroom help, garage mechanics, engr assistants, etc etc. Those people would have absolutley nothing to gain by holding out for that, and in all probability wouldnt even begin to. I know That the Old HPL in Houston and now Centerpoint will not even accept a bid from a non union outfit. I dont know if thats a contractural thing or not.Its a wonderful idea but it wouldnt ever get the support necessary to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Basically contractors have nothing to do with a utilities labor agreement. In order to get to that point the utility hands would hafta lose sumpin to gain that.Now If you were dealing strictly with Linemen it might fly. But you are also looking at clerical, storeroom help, garage mechanics, engr assistants, etc etc. Those people would have absolutley nothing to gain by holding out for that, and in all probability wouldnt even begin to. I know That the Old HPL in Houston and now Centerpoint will not even accept a bid from a non union outfit. I dont know if thats a contractural thing or not.Its a wonderful idea but it wouldnt ever get the support necessary to make it happen.
    What has been done in some areas is that the Utility local have written into their contract that all contractors on the property must be paid equal to the wages and benefits of the utility workers. That takes away the unfair advantage of nonunion contractors who pay their employees substandard wages and benefits.

Question

to answer some....yes we have a contract........the chance of a buy-out is slim and none.....nothing about crews comming in for storm........lay offs......probley.....the psc just tore them a new one......dont know how they can lay off any more?.....read this for the current state of this company...... I thank these folks for standing up for what is right and most of us have know all along

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/24841914...-Lewis-Hay-CEO
    lineman641

Question your hyperlink was deleted or bought off by someone

lineman641 I was not referring to you or your post just that when you posted your link it was removed or censored I believe because of the content. hear is another article folks might want to look at.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...ights_and.html
    Last edited by glover; 10-23-2010 at 01:07 AM. Reason: misunderstanding of reply

8. Default

I'm sure FPL wont budge on Union only contractors. They love bringing them in to do their shit work and will continue to. Its a shame they are doing their men/women like this. Everyone I've talked to that worked there ALL had shitty experiences. Even when I've worked Hurricanes there we were treated like shit. I remember them serving hoagies for supper after we drove for 2 days to stage at the Tamiami Airport and you could see bugs on the lettuce. After seeing the lunch the next day that was supposed to be meatloaf we left and bought our own. Miami purely treated us like shit.

I do have to commend whoever was over Merritt Island, he asked us did we have any concerns or complaints and we told him about the food and they had a huge BBQ that night with chicken and ribs in house. To me their Northern parts were alot better than down South.

Quote Originally Posted by never_forget_our_brothers View Post
    I'm sure FPL wont budge on Union only contractors. They love bringing them in to do their shit work and will continue to. Its a shame they are doing their men/women like this. Everyone I've talked to that worked there ALL had shitty experiences. Even when I've worked Hurricanes there we were treated like shit. I remember them serving hoagies for supper after we drove for 2 days to stage at the Tamiami Airport and you could see bugs on the lettuce. After seeing the lunch the next day that was supposed to be meatloaf we left and bought our own. Miami purely treated us like shit.

I do have to commend whoever was over Merritt Island, he asked us did we have any concerns or complaints and we told him about the food and they had a huge BBQ that night with chicken and ribs in house. To me their Northern parts were alot better than down South.
    Several times we got treated decent down south, last trip..Hurricane Wilma, I believe, working in W Palm and Ft Lauderdale..treated pretty good until the day they released us...then had to move to a different hotel for the night before we drove home....think we'd been better sleeping in the trucks , rather than that 'fine, pay by the hour, flea bag stinking hole in the ground they put us in'.....only good thing that night, we found a great place to eat, (our nickle) and at the No tell motel...the tiki bar in the parking lot...blue tarp roof and all, had COLD beer and lots of tequila!!!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Featured Sponsorr

I must add that during hurricand andrew, fpl treated us very well, in the beggining...........................