Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Need Opinions About This You Must Read This!!!!

Featured Sponsor

It has come to my attention that while our Business Agent was negotiating our contract with Mid American Energy This year, he had retired on April 30th from the company and received a lump sum retirement package and kept his Retiree Medical.

Now as the Business Agent of IBEW Local 499 he is receiving a salary of $90,000 a year. Now isn't suspect that this guy is taking Lump Sum payment and bringing to the floor a contract that screwed everyone under 50 years of age.

Now Don probably got about $450,000 Lump Sum cash.

Now do you realize that alot of IBEW Local 499 members that took the buyout as of May 1st 2009 which means lump sum cash and retiree medical account are now working on the property again.

THESE FELLOWS THAT HAD A VOTE ON THIS PAST CONTRACT THAT SCREWED EVERYONE UNDER 50 ARE NOW WORKING IN A UNION SHOP EITHER AS A CONTRACTOR OR AS A REGULAR EMPLOYEE!!!!

Do you realize as well this local union is doing nothing to stop this activity. Matter a fact they are encouraging it.

What do you fellow union boys think about this?

I'd say that sounds about right...

They'll sell you down the river in a heartbeat... every damn last one of them.

Glad I got mine before all you trouble makers came along... he he

Quote Originally Posted by heelwinch View Post
    I'd say that sounds about right...

They'll sell you down the river in a heartbeat... every damn last one of them.

Glad I got mine before all you trouble makers came along... he he
    Man! Ignorance is bliss with you ain't it FREELOADER!!

I don't think taking the lump sum is that unusual. I know the only place I trust my money is my greedy little hand. Have you ever heard of a lotto winner taking payments over a string of 20 years? I haven't. It is almost always lump sum.

However, if you could better explain the retirement differences between over and under fifty, I'd be interested. How exactly do they differ? I work so much, I probably should pay more attention.

Don't you guys get a vote on the contract? Or is it simply passed down to ya?

If you get to vote, don't blame the guy who brought it to you, blame everyone who cast the ballot to accept it.

Years ago we had a world class Business agent who led is through a long and ugly strike. I heard many people make that exact same statement of selling us down the river.Most of em couldnt pick the guy out in a lineup because they never attended a union meeting. He left , went to law school and made one hell of a lawyer.He didnt need to sell anybody down the river. My advice is dont jump on the bandwagon with that crap. Someone had to Vote in any changes to the contract, If you have a weak membership your gonna have a weak union.

Gotta agree Poot, if your membership is apathetic, divided, and just plain uninvolved..........it reflects on the local. On the other hand if you are working for the good of your local, and stand together, not just bitchin and sittin on the sidelines....then u add a BM that is as mean as a pitbull, and as smart as a fox...u get the brotherhood we have in Local 459. We stick together for the younger, middle aged, and older employees and for what is the best we can do for the group. AND WE VOTE! We have our moments, all locals do...but I am proud to be a member of IBEW Local 459.

I always say if you dont like what is going on in your union, Get in the game!

I've thought about this many times over the years. Would'nt it be better if we paid the salary for a lawer with no commitment or loyalty to the company to act as union president? The company has a team of lawyers acting on their behalf and we end up with some washed up Lineman or worse representing our intrests. After every contract the members could decide to extend the lawyers contract or replace him. I'ld gladly pay an extra ten bucks a week for profesional representation. This would guarantee they'ld work for us rather than cutting there own deals which end up selling us down the river in the end.

JohnyH I don't know about the BA retiring. But I actually go to union meetings so I'll be asking. In case you haven't been watching the news Iowa is not a labor friendly state. The company can bring back retireies to work as contractors and theres not much the union can do.
    Members can't complain if they don't go to meetings and get involved.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    I've thought about this many times over the years. Would'nt it be better if we paid the salary for a lawer with no commitment or loyalty to the company to act as union president? The company has a team of lawyers acting on their behalf and we end up with some washed up Lineman or worse representing our intrests. After every contract the members could decide to extend the lawyers contract or replace him. I'ld gladly pay an extra ten bucks a week for profesional representation. This would guarantee they'ld work for us rather than cutting there own deals which end up selling us down the river in the end.
    Ummmmmmmm a lawyer would sell yer ass down the river inna heartbeat, Thats what Lawyers do. An union hand on the other hand would at least try and better things.Every Local has access to IBEW reps to help guide em and advise em. Most of these reps are well schooled in the legal aspects of things. and many of em are ex Ba's that shined.