Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

I swear, the hover bucket is where its at!

Default Bucksqueeze??

The biggest problem with the Bucksqueeze (BS) is not that it may fail, nor that it's too much trouble. And it is not a macho thing to free climb a pole because only so few can do it.
    The BS is dangerous because it will allow too many people into our line of work that don't belong here because they are no longer afraid of falling. They can't think straight when they are working aloft. They are still afraid of how high they are. Their main thought is staying on the pole instead of doing the work they are up there to do. Take away the fear of falling and watch the numbers of people complete a climbing school rise dramatically. Who would drop out?
    The last thing a lineman should be thinking about when working primaries is falling off a pole. If that's always on your mind; find another profession. This one is not for you.
    The BS is a fine tool for those times when free climbing may be questionable. Icy nights, shell rotted poles, long hours in the hooks, etc. It is not, nor should not be made out to be our solution to falling. It can still happen.
    Learn how to climb. Get rid of those who are afraid of climbing or heights. Hire a lineman to do linework. Let's not dummy down our work just so anyone can do it. Almost 40 years of linework has taught me that. I hope to have a few more left in me.

Copper!

I like you man... you post some solid shit...

Well said man well fuggin said...

Edge

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Loggers. Fibrous wadding in clothing that fouls blade and stops it going through their limbs.

Guns. The safety catch.

Explosives. Multiple safety features including keyswitches and integrated test circuits.

Baseball players. Protective clothing to protect vulnerable bits from damage.

Hockey players. Padding and guards.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the USA, but here in the UK it used to be up to the worker whether they wore a safety helmet (hard hat) or harness. Personally I didn't because I thought they looked daft and they were uncomfortable to wear. They suddenly introduced a law that said all construction workers had to wear them or they could face legalities. Then everyone was wearing them, they adopted the American "hard hat" name and suddenly it was cool to have a hard hat.

They've certainly gone over the top with safety here, but I have to admit that many of the things they have introduced are sensible.

As for the hover bucket. Would you honestly take one anywhere near primary?

(I can't find video footage of an actual one-man jet bucket thing that did exist. Used a lot of energy to stay up though.)
    This Big Glive guy has a pretty good head on his shoulder fellows.
    I think a lot of people are missing the big picture that deep down we would all like to see one day. No falls .As Glive mention we dont have a lot of guys falling but when they do it is not good at all.
    Keep up the good post B Glive
    Linemanblood

Quote Originally Posted by copperlineman View Post
    The biggest problem with the Bucksqueeze (BS) is not that it may fail, nor that it's too much trouble. And it is not a macho thing to free climb a pole because only so few can do it.
    The BS is dangerous because it will allow too many people into our line of work that don't belong here because they are no longer afraid of falling. They can't think straight when they are working aloft. They are still afraid of how high they are. Their main thought is staying on the pole instead of doing the work they are up there to do. Take away the fear of falling and watch the numbers of people complete a climbing school rise dramatically. Who would drop out?
    The last thing a lineman should be thinking about when working primaries is falling off a pole. If that's always on your mind; find another profession. This one is not for you.
    The BS is a fine tool for those times when free climbing may be questionable. Icy nights, shell rotted poles, long hours in the hooks, etc. It is not, nor should not be made out to be our solution to falling. It can still happen.
    Learn how to climb. Get rid of those who are afraid of climbing or heights. Hire a lineman to do linework. Let's not dummy down our work just so anyone can do it. Almost 40 years of linework has taught me that. I hope to have a few more left in me.
    With the fall protection such as BuckSqueeze or Pole choker Etc the majority of trainees never develope the fear you may have had when you start this line of work. They get to skip that step because of the device removing the falling out of picture. I have observed trainees off the street come threw climbing school and put fall restraint on and take off so much quicker because of having to learn not to be scared and truct their hooks.
    Now once all of us old school guys or people that free climb or hitch hike poles are retired the word Linework will no longer have any such thing as free climbing or hitch hiking.
    Sorry but this is the hard facts for those who cant get over it
    Linemanblood

Quote Originally Posted by Linemanblood View Post
    With the fall protection such as BuckSqueeze or Pole choker Etc the majority of trainees never develope the fear you may have had when you start this line of work. They get to skip that step because of the device removing the falling out of picture. I have observed trainees off the street come threw climbing school and put fall restraint on and take off so much quicker because of having to learn not to be scared and truct their hooks.
    Now once all of us old school guys or people that free climb or hitch hike poles are retired the word Linework will no longer have any such thing as free climbing or hitch hiking.
    Sorry but this is the hard facts for those who cant get over it
    The majority of trainees never "develope" the fear of falling, they come in with it. Some know they have it, some don't. I never had a "fear", but I had a healthy respect and a deep concern until I learned it. Some of those with the fear will now be able to cope with it because they know they shouldn't fall. Problem is, they will still have the fear, their minds won't work right because of it, and they will be a hazard to themselves and their co-workers. To what degree of hazard depends on each person. I don't think you can teach someone not to be afraid of heights or of climbing. They may be able to cope with it, but it will still be there. I've had literally a couple hundred guys come through my climbing schools. In the past couple years a few came with the BS because their company was going to require them to wear it. I refused to pass three of them and sent them back even though they could climb with the BS, but not without it. All three left their companies before they came back to try again...all within a year. Take away the Bucksqueeze from anyone who has a fear of heights or a fear of standing on those little gaffs and they'll be a whole different person. We don't need people like that in the air working with thousands of volts.
    You're right about our line of work going to that. I dread the day it gets here. I left my job at a very large investor owned company after 33 years because of the changes they made. I started my own training company and do things my way. When the BS becomes mandatory, I'll go away peacefully and enjoy my retirement even more. Until then, I'll fight against the mandatory use of any fall protection equipment that allows an unqualified person to enter our workforce.

Copper I might be lookin for ya in about 3 years lol

Edge

I'll be right here...hopefully.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you , but if you are saying that someone who has only climbed with a fall restraint system is unqualified I would have to disagree, that would mean that most of Canada's lineman are not qualified because fall restraint has been around here for a while. Although climbing is an important part of the trade there is so much more to it than just getting up & down the pole. I have seen guys ( before we had fall restraint) that when they got to there work position & were belted above something & could not fall were still afraid & only worked with 1 hand. My first 2 years we were allowed to free climb & it is definitely easier & I enjoyed it, but I still climb as much as I can when the job allows it & I still enjoy the climbing because I get more satisfaction out of what I do when I get there than I do out of actually climbing the pole.
    Last edited by lewy; 12-09-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I have seen guys that when they got to there work position & are belted above something & could not fall were still afraid & only worked with 1 hand.
    you answered it your self Lewy... I think Coppers just framing the pole a little different... but it's still the same stick...

Edge