Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default jatc

Featured Sponsor

jatc vs line school, jatc is a apprenticship program line school is a trade school where you go to try to get in the jatc to become a lineman...... but yes i agree they should take guy that have a year or so as a groundman or some experance we have had guys they let right in and have no experance worked a office job or at burger king at least now its changing hear anyway.....
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2WDKING View Post
    i forgot to mention i am holding out for mo valley jatc i have my cdl i have been running 3 miles a day i was ranked #9 then 24 then 40 now currently 43 i have been patiently waiting and training since june 2008 i hear things will break loose mid simmer 2010, i think powerlineman magazine should do and article on this subject of schools vs jatc, just an idea
    As others have stated the two should not be compared. If there was to be an article written it should be titled "Entering JATC with or without Line School credit." Attending line school is a great way to get your foot in the door and obtain an apprenticeship. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD LINE SCHOOL EVER BE A REPLACEMENT FOR JATC. Although, some line schools cater to non-union outfits and turn out students to go work as a "lineman" at their company with only line school experience. This is not right, it's dangerous and should not even be an option. But, directors of these line school programs are looking at job placement numbers for recruitment purposes and need those numbers to sell their program.

I'm happy that you are taking it upon yourself to get into shape to be ready for an apprenticeship. No one wants to hire a slug. My advice is if you are in a position that you can sacrifice some time to attend line school you should definately do that. While attending school, contact the utilities/contractors/apprenticeship programs to get your name out there find out what they are looking for in an "intern" or apprentice candidate. Whatever they are looking for...perfect it. Then you will shine when it comes time to tryout or bid for a spot.

Default Why?

The only comparison is some guy's think they can go to work right out of Line School and not go through an apprenticeship.

Another consideration is most Union shops will not recognize a line school or give you any advanced placement because you attended one. Most utilities will hire you in as a grunt and you work your way up.
    the IBEW has a solid apprenticeship program and you will get a nationally recognized journeyman cert. that you can use anywhere. There is no substitute for on the job training ..books wont get you up the pole and teach you how to do it safely.

5. Default

I remember when I was first trying to find out how to get into the trade (still working on it lol) I was confused with the seperation of the two (Apprenticeship and Line school).

To become a Journeyman Lineman, you need to go through an Apprenticeship. It's as simple as that. Line school, as far as I see it, only helps you in 2 ways.

1) It can show you if it's the right path for you to take. Spending a few days on a pole playing with wire might make you realize it's not your cup of tea. Or, it might inspire you even more to follow the path.

2) It might help you land an apprenticeship spot. Will it substantially help you with this? Quite simply put, not at all. Some companies could really care less about it, like the local company I've been wanting to get on with for some time (Snohomish County PUD in Washington). But, if it came down to choosing between you and some other guy. Both of you, pretty much the same, as far as qualifications goes, only you spent your own money to go to a climb school might show you have the heart and soul for it that the other guy has yet to show. With that, you might get the slight edge. Other than that... *shrugs*.

Last spring the Sno. PUD had 5 apprenticeship positions open. I don't know how many applied, but 1,100 people were called in for testing. Out of that 1,100 people, 450 past the written test. They had more people than they thought, so they dropped enough people to get down to 250 (I was one of the 200 that got dropped). Those 250 go on to the physical test. My uncle is a line foreman for the company and said they usually lose about 70% of the people in the fitness part. 250 - ~70% is around 75 people who passed both written and physical. So... 75 people got to do an interview. With 5 spots open, thats a 1 in 15 chance of getting the job. I didn't get an actual number, but the impression I got, there was around a 1-2 dozen people there, that had attended a line school. It doesn't replace an Apprenticeship, nor does it make you any more qualified than someone who didn't attend one. It simply helps you learn more about the tools of the trade (score slightly higher on the written) and might get you a bit more fit and skilled in climbing (score slightly higher on the physical).

But, out of roughly 75 people that were interviewed (let's be pessimistic and assume 2 dozen), 1/3rd of them that went to climb school. Odds are definitely against you, if you have not gone that extra mile as many others have. Does that count you out of the race if you have not gone? Of course not. But if you find yourself in the same situation, being 1 out of 1,100 people. It takes a hell of a lot, to outshine the rest of the people. When it comes down to it, if you and another guy have similar test scores and experiences, and this other guy is just looking for another job because he got laid off a few months ago, and you put out your own money and time to go to a climb school, it shows them that *this* is the *career* you want, and your not just another dude looking for a paycheck. Theres your only slight edge really.

Personally, I can't wait to go to a climb school (planning on going to VOLTA). Regardless if it helps me get an apprentice spot or not, it'll give me a taste of what I'm striving for and just fuel the fire that much more.

Just my 2 cents.

As a person currently attending school (college in Michigan) to be a lineman, I can say for sure I would much rather hire in as a grunt and get an apprenticeship that way. If you can tell me where they will hire me, sign me up. I am going to school so that someone will hire me to be in apprentice. I in no way believe that by going through school I will know how to be a lineman. We just want to be accepted into an apprenticeship. School seems to be the best way to get there. I went to an albat interview a while back before I started school. They asked me all kinds of questions about what I know, do I have any licenses, what kind of classes have I taken etc. I had absolutely no experience, schooling, or anything else related to linework. For what I had, I felt like I did an awesome job in the interview. That landed me at number 83 on the list. I think had I finished school I'd be much higher on that list. A utility company here in Michigan works directly with the school I am going to. They hire apprentices right out of school. Generally before there completely finished. So, if I can do well in this program I can almost guarantee myself an apprenticeship. That is why I am going to school.

7. Default Also Trying to get into Apprenticeship

Right now I am a Commercial Electrician Apprentice. I work for a non union Company and would love to be a Lineman for the IBEW. I will have an interveiw in June for NW Njatc lineman Apprenticeship. I really want to Knock there socks off in the interveiw. Can anyone please tell me how to prepare for it.

Not real sure how it can be said that going to a lineschool doesnt make you any more quallified for a starting position? You invested your time and money into the trade. And have skills neccesary for working in the field ( climbing hanging cross arms and such). I dont think it should ever take the place of an aprenticeship but it does make you more qualified than someone off of the street with no schooling or previous exp. I am currently in a lineschool in ohio and we work in the field 5 hrs a day 5 days a week so were not just learning out of books. just my thoughts on the issue.

Default ELP grad

I just finished the ELP program at Northwest linemans college, California. Also i took the NCCCO crane cert class offered there. I have been working for a contractor as a grunt hand digging pole holes as well as digging and setting anchors for the local utility for the last three years. It didnt take long for me to decide that i wanted to become a real Lineman. I am a IBEW member with 4000 hours of ground time. So now here i am with my certs,CDL and ground time waiting for the books to start moving and or JATC to resume accepting apps. I believe that when this happens,the ELP cert,crane cert, CDL and ground time could give me some prefrence over alot of other applicants. I had nothing to lose by going to line school and im glad i did it.

if it was any of your business you would know

Featured Sponsorr

Down here in OK some of the munis have hire out of the schools. The bigger towns have just worked the kids into the regular program. The smaller (real small) towns hired the guy as the superintenent (tounge in cheek but truer than I'd care to admit)

If you can go right to a muni or IBEW local and get paid to learn from Day 1 you will be money ahead.