Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    if it was any of your business you would know

Default The bolt thing

Featured Sponsor

Consumers Energy and some of the other companies in the upper midwest want the bolt through the arm.... claim the arm carries on the weaker threaded part of the bolt.

I can see this being a problem with the fat old "timber" crossarms or on some transmission details... but a standard arm with #2 Al? C'mon.

If a 5/8" bolt wont keep a cross arm on a pole... try a 3/4" if your that worried about things breaking.

Back in the dark ages I think bolts where tooled where the new ones look like they roll the thread on them. If you look at a 5/8ths bolt the threads are actually thicker than the shank. A 5/8ths nut from the past will be to small for today’s 5/8ths bolt. A couple of years ago on a wreck out, I had forgotten what the old D.As looked like, they where not all thread like today’s but only had about 8” of thread on both ends. So IMHO I feel with the threads thicker than the shank that the threads are now stronger or just as strong.

3. Default

I guess i've never seen a bolt from the "dark ages" yet. But putting the arm on is a matter of prefernce, obviously. i've put them on both ways ( i get to a new local and see how they want it, and i deliver). and ive also had no problem installing or wrecking out a crossarm both ways metioned. gotta be versatile as a good lineman should be. and for the bolt it hold a cross arm that would be pretty heavy wire to snap it off.

highplanes i thought this was the dark ages, bucksqueeze, truck grounds, ncco cards ect...

everyone have a good one and work safe. and buy UNION!!!!!!!
    Buy american made & when possible buy union made

4. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by johnciv6 View Post
    I was under the impression, people go to line school to get a leg above everyone else to actually getting in a jatc..

You guys make it sound so easy to get in.. School is pre-apprenticeship training... Not actualy apprenticeship.
    Thats exactly what I did! I went to Northwest lineman college to just get a foot in the door with anybody and that barely got me a job. I have a class a, ncco crane cert and first aid training and just wanted to get on and start learning and my goal is to get into a jatc program work union and learn how to do this work the right way safely. I can say that some of the people i went to school with did believe they were lineman just because they went to school and I worked with a couple of em that got hired on by the same company and the journey man quickly let them know they werent.