Thread: how long

1. Default how long

Featured Sponsor

just wondering how long did it take for some of you all to get your foot in the door and was it because you knew someone or was it just a matter of being persitant. Also for some of you that are not in yet how long have you been trying to become a lineman and what steps have you taken

2. Smile perserverance

Featured Sponsorr

i was working, (with no previous training), for a URD company from 2004-2007 and forsaw a layoff in the future back in jan. of 07'. i then decided to pursue a career in the power industry, the inevitable layoff happened at the end of march 2007. from there i applied @ many different power companies to no avail which led me to a line school (Northwest lineman college) that started in aug 2007. i got out immediatly hooking a job w/ a coop in new mexico, discovering that they did very little actual linework i took a job w/ another coop in colorado realizing it was basically the same, they both actually said they employ lineman but, they're really utility workers. so here i am now, legitamately a completed two year apprentice trying to locate employment in the trade i started to educate myself in with the line school. moral of the story is, it's not that difficult to get your foot in the door providing you make yourself available through the sources that they look to for employment and your willing to relocate. the biggest difficulty i'm having is finding a good company that will actually get me the exposure i need to be a competant lineman, not a glorified utility worker. it all depends on what type of work you want to do. btw, i started in the state of ohio and have moved 3 times since then looking towards another move in the near future. keep trying you'll get in. good luck to you.