Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Please Help! Fr Clothing?

Featured Sponsor

I have searched all over OSHA's site looking for their standard for what the arc rating should be. The closest thing I found was a table number but I can't find the table. I also saw one place where it says 4 or higher but I have been told it is now 8 or higher. Can somebody put the link on for me? Thank you in advance.

This looks alittle old but might help.

http://www.spotnet.com.au/technical/elecarc.html

I searched like you did but cant find much either

3. Default Arc Rated Clothing

OSHA does not have a standard on the arc rating of clothing at this time. It does look as though they will have one soon. All OSHA says is that clothing must not cause further injury and can not continue to burn when ignited.

The Arc Rating Rule is coming from the 2007 NESC. Sec. 410

Effective as of January 1, 2009, the employer shall ensure that an assessment is performed to determine potential exposure to an electric arc for employees who work on or near energized parts or equipment. If the
    assessment determines a potential employee exposure greater than 2 cal/cm2 exists (see Neal, Bingham, and Doughty [B59]), the employer shall require employees to wear clothing or a clothing system that has an effective arc rating not less than the anticipated level of arc energy.

When exposed to an electric arc or flame, clothing made from the following materials shall not be worn: acetate, nylon, polyester, or polypropylene.

The effective arc rating of clothing or a clothing system to be worn at voltages 1000 V and above shall be determined using Tables 410-1 and 410-2 or performing an arc hazard analysis.

When an arc hazard analysis is performed, it shall include a calculation of the estimated arc energy based on the available fault current, the duration of the arc (cycles), and the distance from the arc to the employee.

EXCEPTION 1: If the clothing required by this rule has the potential to create additional and greater hazards than the possible exposure to the heat energy of the electric are, then clothing with an arc rating or arc thermal performance value (A TPY) less than that required by the rule can be worn.

EXCEPTION 2: For secondary systems below 1000 V,
    applicable work rules required by this part and engineering controls shall be utilized to limit exposure. In lieu of performing an arc hazard analysis, clothing or a clothing system with a minimum effective arc rating of 4 cal/cm2 shall be required to limit the likelihood of ignition.

NOTE 1: If the clothing system (multiple layers) that includes an outer layer of flame resistant material and
    an inner layer of non-flame resistant material has been shown to block more heat than a single layer. The effect of the combination of these multiple layers can be referred to as the effective arc rating.

NOTE 2: It is recognized that arc energy levels can be excessive with secondary systems. Applicable work rules required by this part and engineering controls should be utilized.

4. Default

Thanks for the help and yes it comes from the NESC.

Default Hrc 2

As of Jan.1 this year,our company required FR clothing.For everyone. They gave us an alowence, and a manufactuer,Tyndale.ther Arc Rating is 8.7
    P.S. how do I find spell check, I need it!

[QUOTE=Capt Bly;57489
    P.S. how do I find spell check, I need it![/QUOTE]

Don't worry about the spelling too much. As long as we can read your post it's fine.

If you used Firefox as your browser you could use the spell check feature on that where it flags up dodgy words with a red underline and right clicking them gives you spelling options.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default spelling

BIG CLIVE

Thankyou, my rotater cup is hurting, wrong angel on a fiber hoist, just love 250 cu weather proof.

Capt Bly

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Don't worry about the spelling too much. As long as we can read your post it's fine.

If you used Firefox as your browser you could use the spell check feature on that where it flags up dodgy words with a red underline and right clicking them gives you spelling options.
    I've been using Firefox for years. Beats the pants off of Al Gates, and it's a totally free download!
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Default Try this web site

Default Fr

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by fpl759 View Post
    I have searched all over OSHA's site looking for their standard for what the arc rating should be. The closest thing I found was a table number but I can't find the table. I also saw one place where it says 4 or higher but I have been told it is now 8 or higher. Can somebody put the link on for me? Thank you in advance.
    Do you use Tyndale USA FR clothing?
    Linemanblood