Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Generation Lineworker

Featured Sponsor

An article and research suggestion.

How to train a new generation lineworker.
    I know I am going to be judged by what I am about to purpose. But, I do not want to stereotype all 20 somethings(men and women) into the same catagory. These young people have a vast knowledge and understanding of computers and have an endless supply of information at their finger tips and I personally would not want to match wits with them. But when it comes to linework instruction and teachings I really get tired of hearing "I Know, I Know" when in reality they don't know. I have a difficult time getting my instructions across. Linework requires what the name indicates "work" and the knowledge to perform said work.

I believe learning styles and cultures have changed dramatically and I for one, am having a difficult time bridging that gap. As a foot note I do not believe in the "Because I said so" philosophy, either. Their are reasons we do what we do and how we do it, many times the reasons are very important to the next step or application.

Last thought; Linework is dangerous, fun and rewarding, and not to be taken lightly. So any thoughts and/or ideas? Would this make a good article?

Pros----Cons.

Thanks for Listening

Question for today? To become a good listener you must remain _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Clue: You will find the answer in the word LISTEN.

When I see that "cause I said so" aint workin I tellem Cause I am 60 yrs plus have all my fingers and all my toes and have worked everday with some of the most dangerous stuff known to man. I have spent time in the burn ward helping a fellow with an attitude similar to yours and didnt enjoy it, so I would really appreciate it if YOU do what I ask and if it isnt too much trouble would you mind doing it the WAY I ask?
    The next line is You dont hafta do it my way But If ya wanna stay here ya mite wanna consider it......

Angry Thank you

Thxs for this post I'm going thru this now and it makes me so frustrated trying to teach someone the trade and they just don't get it and what an opportunity they have.Of course management doesn't want to hear what you think of this guy they just want another body on the crew the guy doesn't even know how to use a shovel but they think he will be able to climb and handle primary. Thxs again I needed to vent god help our trade though we all know it will never be the same. Bring them home safe guys.

Default I wonder

Remember the stories you heard when you were that young 20 something apprentice? It really sounds the same as today. The situations may be different, but the similarities are still there.

I too have fallen into the same mindset. This younger generation stuff. I hear alot about how apprentices are constantly on those cell phones at work. I have seen it too! But I just realized that the journeymen are on them just as much. Not young journeymen either!

It is the same story from every generation. Elvis and the Beatles were going to make children sex freaks and drug addicts. They were all going to go to hell in a hand basket. Thank GOD for Elvis and the Beatles! I mean the alternative is unthinkable! The sex thing aint that bad either.

But it just strikes me as funny that every older generation sees the next younger one as screw balls. You know that's what they thought of us don't you? They didn't know what to do with us either. Don't flatter yourselves by thinking that this is not true about you. It was at least when you first started.

We'll all make it through this though, just as the old timers did with us. Either that or we'll never be allowed to retire.

Just because something has been done the same way for 40 years doesn’t mean it is right, safe, nor the best way to do it. Not when we have linemen about ready to retire clocking out on secondaries.

The fact is, not all linemen are teachers of their trade. In fact, there are a lot who just can’t bridge that gap, and probably never will. One shoe doesn’t fit all, and one teaching style doesn’t fit all. I try to adjust my style to the apprentice. It is like training dogs in a way. You get a hardheaded, alpha hounddog, you’re going to have to break out the wip to get him in line. Wip a GSP and he just totally shuts down, period.

But you train them as best you can when you have them then send them on there way. Years past and you hear through the grapevine the good and the bad and the guys he’s worked with. Then one day your paths rendezvous again and you look up at him in the bucket and it is like ballet in the air. And you think to yourself, “Where did my little F-up go? Where’s the guy that took out three services with the swipe of his boom or went phase to ground with a stray line?”

I think this generation will do just fine.

Default im in training

right now im in training, i had started 6 weeks ago, and have another year a half to go, im in a college/hands on training style of line school, and so far, so good, the instructor are very safety conscious, we read out of our safety manuals every day, we go over work procedure, we drill climbing poles, we do tailboards while training even to go over the work being done. the instructors all have knowledge in many areas and specialized areas, we are getting a crash course in line work, and wont graduate into a journeyman position, but a 3rd year apprentice position, where as we have another year, then primary learners for x amount of time until we can prove we are trained and ready to become a 1st class/journeyman lineworker. the program has some pros/cons but mostly pros, and im proud to be apart of it. they instructors have 4 or 5 students to each, and its a 21 person class. its a little hectic but they make sure to take the time to answer any questions and to thoroughly explain the work to be involved and have so far, followed all the safety rules in our handbooks.

7. Smile I'm somewhere in the middle

I like to hope it's all up to the individual. Some people come in and don't know which end of a shovel they're about to get hit with and some think they could do brain surgery with one.

Show up on time. (OUR time, not YOUR time!)

Show up ready to work. (hard!)

Pay attention! (you'll learn both how and how not to do things)

The thing is, this could be how a caveman learns to hunt or how an astronaut learns to land on Mars. Either way we're all still gettin' bye. Maybe a few of em go hungry though, eh?
    If you're not learnin' while your earnin' then you're missing out on the better part of your compensation!

8. Default New generation

I trained a lot of young men that were just starting out. When I got one of those "I know" guys I just let them make some fire. Little fire is the best teacher. Now this is not primary but a few burnt pliers usually does the trick along with a little laughter. Worked for me. Hardest part was getting them to use the equipment and not struggle to get her done. Most come around just takes time. I know a few are hopeless but they are usually weeded out before we got them on a crew. Try it it works.

Exclamation No way

Quote Originally Posted by localmotion View Post
    right now im in training, i had started 6 weeks ago, and have another year a half to go, im in a college/hands on training style of line school, and so far, so good, the instructor are very safety conscious, we read out of our safety manuals every day, we go over work procedure, we drill climbing poles, we do tailboards while training even to go over the work being done. the instructors all have knowledge in many areas and specialized areas, we are getting a crash course in line work, and wont graduate into a journeyman position, but a 3rd year apprentice position, where as we have another year, then primary learners for x amount of time until we can prove we are trained and ready to become a 1st class/journeyman lineworker. the program has some pros/cons but mostly pros, and im proud to be apart of it. they instructors have 4 or 5 students to each, and its a 21 person class. its a little hectic but they make sure to take the time to answer any questions and to thoroughly explain the work to be involved and have so far, followed all the safety rules in our handbooks.
    No way in hell will you be a 3rd year apprentice without 3 years of OJT.
    As far as these fast food apprentice's go, after you show them and tell them, let them fight it. Pole position, you name it. Then I say stop! Do it this way! And make them do that way, or move over here and work, after there done, I say, "now wasn't that ez'er?" Once the apprentice knows you are not out to get them, and see you know what you are doing and you can help him learn the trade. It starts to smooth out for both of you. I tell all by apprentice's that I want them to be a better Lineman then me. I also let the apprentice show me new things he has learned in Apprentice school's. After he knows what to do, I let him work without getting in there face. I say, I don't need to tell you what to do up here, you are one of the team, I'll tell you if I want you to do something. I'll fine him over on my side of the pole helping me, or doing my job. In the early days this is how he learned the trade, "here hold this, press this, pull that," but now it's time to work as a crew. Get the F--on your side of the pole before I cut your skid. "You know what to do, do it."

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by PA BEN View Post
    No way in hell will you be a 3rd year apprentice without 3 years of OJT.
    As far as these fast food apprentice's go, after you show them and tell them, let them fight it. Pole position, you name it. Then I say stop! Do it this way! And make them do that way, or move over here and work, after there done, I say, "now wasn't that ez'er?" Once the apprentice knows you are not out to get them, and see you know what you are doing and you can help him learn the trade. It starts to smooth out for both of you. I tell all by apprentice's that I want them to be a better Lineman then me. I also let the apprentice show me new things he has learned in Apprentice school's. After he knows what to do, I let him work without getting in there face. I say, I don't need to tell you what to do up here, you are one of the team, I'll tell you if I want you to do something. I'll fine him over on my side of the pole helping me, or doing my job. In the early days this is how he learned the trade, "here hold this, press this, pull that," but now it's time to work as a crew. Get the F--on your side of the pole before I cut your skid. "You know what to do, do it."
    WELL FUGGIN' PUT!!!

there's way to much coddling and not enuff training... it seems now that our job is not to make apes Journeymen but make boys into men first.... I'm not sure its the trade but rather society as a whole... and it trickles down to the trades that REQUIRE men to fill the gap... but mayhaps ole Swampy's right and they (whomever they may be) will bullet proof it 'nuff to nullify the ole "well if it was easy they'd have women and children doing it"

we'll see...

Fast food apes man did you ever hit that one square in the jaw...

as for me ... 'til I hang my hooks up for good?... I'll see ya in the nose bleed section... that's where the work is.

Edge