Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Opposite Phases in Single Phase Pad mounts

Featured Sponsor

Our company is wanting to change a URD loop around (a very large and critical one) to handle load balance problems. The linecrews are telling them there is other ways with the Overhead to balance load.
    They are wanting to have opposite phases in single phase pad mounts and we are telling them it is a hazard.
    Anybody out there have some accidents, or incidents that we can use to fight this thought process?

I have seen and heard of accidents in URD transformers with different phases in it. Unfortunately, none of the accidents were related to the fact there were different phases in the transformer...... They were all caused by someone doing something STUPID!!!

By itself, having different phases in a transformer, is not dangerous. If you, as a qualified lineman, do what you are supposed to do, it will not present a danger to you.

If it happens, make sure the mapping is updated to reflect the change, and make sure the cables are properly labeled.

KEEP WORKING SAFE!!!

Blog Entries

Well, IMHO your company is looking for an easy way to solve the problem. Opposite phases in a URD pot should not be an option, frankly, it's just plain stupid!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default ?????

Am I missing something ? 2 opposite phases in one single phase padmount I think I,ll let you close it in.

Koga

Duke Power done that in the late 80's and early 90's. I have worked them many of times with only a 2 problems and that was because the cable was not tagged right. So as long as you make sure the maps are right and cables are tagged I wouldnt have a problem with it. Make them buy you a good set of phasing sticks, it will take more time and the company will have more down time, but it does work....

Theres better ways to peel load off a phase than that. Like others have said its ok I guess as long as its well marked. Seems to me it may present problems when you try to isolate a section looking for a fault. You could loose both phases if you get to where you have to close the parked elbow.

Blog Entries

Sorry guys, you may have worked it, and may have felt it's a safe practice but it's an accident waiting to happen. Real stupid way to run an electric company........
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default padmounts

Edison does it all the time with there pads you will have 2 phases coming in and 2 going out for a feed through you think thats dangerous to work some of them ar live front feed throughs it pretty simple mark your phases and use a phaseing set it not that dangerous
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Single phase delta padmounts have two, if not all three phases in them.

Three phase transformers have three different phases also.

If your neutral is a phase then all underground cables have 2 phases.

If you can build it and mark it so it is ABSOLUTELY clear what is what so that ANY lineman could easily see what is going on then there could be a safe way to do it.

Featured Sponsorr

Our maps are decent, however this loop feed is a bit involved, loops within loops, 3-ways, etc. And your right as long as you keep good maps and use a phase set, mark your cables no problem. It just leaves a lot of room for human error that is not necessarry. Also everytime you want to isolate for xfmr change out or what ever, you can't close the loop so you have to take an outage on one side of the loop to switch. Then when work is done you have to do the same to get the loop back to normal.