Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Wikipedia did specifically mention that you shouldn't burn it, since inhaling the smoke will cause inflammation of the lungs and possible death as a result.

Nice. I'll stick to the odd inadvertent brush of a stinging nettle.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Try Dawn dish soap on the ticks. Q-tip dipped in soap the dabbed on the tick. It works.

We have rattlers, scorpions, black widows, and brown recluse, they all love pad mounts.

I have caught injured eagles, coons, hawks, two badgers, and countless snakes. And one bobcat that was on a three phase bank pole.

A technique used in Scotland for getting ticks to pull out is to dab them with surgical spirits. I guess your equivalent would be rubbing alcohol.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by RadonHuffer View Post
    Having been bit by a massauga rattle snake several years ago I can tell you its no fun.
    Ouch! I bet that wasnt much fun. I've seen shows about people getting bit by rattlers and the side effects from the anti-venom could kill most before the bite could. They are bad down here in the woods this time of the year. Good to hear you made it out alright.

Default Stinging nettles

Down in deepest, darkest Dorset (my home county) they hold the world stinging nettle eating championships each year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorset/content/..._feature.shtml

I don't go to that end of the county too often, rumour has it that they still eat they're young in those parts.

Mac
    No job too big or tall.

Quote Originally Posted by WCLR View Post
    Ouch! I bet that wasnt much fun. I've seen shows about people getting bit by rattlers and the side effects from the anti-venom could kill most before the bite could. They are bad down here in the woods this time of the year. Good to hear you made it out alright.
    They dont always rattle before they bite, I was helping an old friend get his honeybee hives out of the way of flood waters on September 9th 1986.

Frank was trying to get a sling under the hive with his cane and I reached under the hive trying to get hold of the sling, At first I thought I hooked my hand on a nail. Then it felt like I had molten lead running through my veins.

By the time we got to the hospitol about 20 miles away my hand was 2X its normal size.

I was in the hospitol 6 days and It took another 3 weeks to fully recover.

They had to cut my hand and arm open to relieve the pressure and keep the circulation going.

The scars look like a piece of machinery got a hold of me.

If you get bit, Pack the bite in ICE.

Man that sucks! I had a friend get bit by a brown recluse (didnt know it) and she went to Florida for vacation. Halfway through the week she came back and went to the doctor. The little bit down swole the side of her leg just above her knee and was turning dark. Immediately went to the doc and thats what it was. Had the same thing happen to a cousin of mine, and he lost skin tissue from the bit and had to have skin graphs to fix it.

I couldnt imagine getting bit by a rattler.

In Aug. 1962 got bit in the arch of the left foot by a rattler who was underneath a rock. Applied a tourniquet with a bootlace and walked about a quarter mile. Saw a neighbor arrive at his house across the field and fired my rifle in the air after he killed his tractor. Waved him up, he jumped in his pickup and hauled me to my parents. The tourniquet was hurting like blazes by then. I removed it and my father hauled me to the Dr.

The Dr. said I was lucky, as the bite was in a bony, slightly veined part of my foot. He cut the fang holes and kneaded the site with his hands. Also gave me a small shot of anti venom in order to check for an allergic reaction. After this he gave me a full dose of anti-venom. He wanted me to stay overnite in the hospt. but I refused and went home. Had a bad nite but made it through it.

Had to use crutches for 3 wks. as my leg swelled immensely and was very discolored. It was drawn up as if flexed and I could not straighten it. After 3 wks. I was able to walk alright.

About 1918 my mother had an 11 year old cousin who was killed by a rattlesnake bite. When they finally hauled him the 20 or so miles to town in a wagon it was too late and he died.

I was very jumpy in areas that might hold a snake after that but I got over it.
    Last edited by wtdoor67; 07-05-2008 at 11:36 AM.

A couple of weeks ago I was isolating a supply for some of our sub contractors. The area is often covered in water this time of year and with under-ground power the pad-mounts are are placed on top of a raised earth bund. This particular ones' bund was covered in long grass about knee height. I took the cover of the LV side and it was covered in around 20 scorpians around an inch and a half long, no great concern I had already put all my gloves etc on. I caught a whiff of something stinking inside and noticed a dead tiger snake draped over the blue phase bushing , there was about 4 foot of it on this side and disapeared over to the HV side. Cool have to check out how long it is, so I took the HV cover off put my hand on top of the cabinet and squatted down to have a look. There about a foot from hand and two feet from my face was another one! And this on live and well and hissing at me. Tiger snakes are up the scale in the worlds top most venomous and have a nasty habit of chasing people when aggrovated and this one was going crazy hissing at me. Sufficed to say I haven't moved that quick for a while lol.
    From the pole to the hole and both sides of the meter....

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Squizzy View Post
    Tiger snakes are up the scale in the worlds top most venomous and have a nasty habit of chasing people when aggrovated and this one was going crazy hissing at me. Sufficed to say I haven't moved that quick for a while lol.
    I wonder if the Oz power companies mention things like that in their UK recruitment adverts.

www.bigclive.com