Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Spikes.

Default Spikes.

Featured Sponsor

I've heard that switching from one brand of climbing spikes to another can be a bit of an experience at first, with cutting out being a distinct possibility when choosing a brand with a different spike "feel".

I also guess that a particular body type might prefer a particular style of climbing iron, so which brand is the most popular here (and which the least popular)? And have any of you had particularly bad experiences when switching from one brand to another in terms of pole-rash.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Bashlins were the brand I used ,Aluminum left and rights, Tried some Klines once didnt car fer em at all( Gaffs were substansially shorter).As for pads I hear the new velcro jobs are the Cadillacs of the industry But They wernt around back in the day and I used steel angled pads.still use em to this day.

Bashlin aluminum hooks, with the big steel reinforced velcro pads are the cats ass. I agree about Kliens. They have a straight short gaff, though I have known older guys who could climb like monkeys in them.

my family's been doing line work since they were stinging telegraph in the trees... each generation a construction hand including my self... I being the first to transition into the utility side.... still got my great grandpaps hooks ... homemade... granddaddy climbed in the same then later Bashlin ... my daddy climbed in Bashlin, I climb in Bashlin, and my middle son... yeah you get the picture by now....

and spikes??? I don't know what those are.... sounds like tree climber talk BC... most Lineman call 'em gaffs or hooks or climbers

Edge

untill the day they put the whole grid underground... make mine BASHLIN

Blog Entries

Ive primarily climbed in Buckinghams, switched to Bashlins with no problem and then back to the Bucks. My Bucks are over 30 years old, not replacable gaffs, the short straight type. If the safety man ever saw em he'd take em away.......I'm not fond of the new style gaffs, but you know the old saying about teaching an old dog new tricks......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post

and spikes??? I don't know what those are.... sounds like tree climber talk BC... most Lineman call 'em gaffs or hooks or climbers
    There seem to be so many names for the things. Every time I use a different one I get told it's the wrong name. Maybe I'll just refer to them as leg irons for badness.

So if the Kleins are so unpopular for their short spike, then what about fitting the tree climbing spike to them instead? It's longer for cutting through bark into wood.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    There seem to be so many names for the things. Every time I use a different one I get told it's the wrong name. Maybe I'll just refer to them as leg irons for badness.

So if the Kleins are so unpopular for their short spike, then what about fitting the tree climbing spike to them instead? It's longer for cutting through bark into wood.
    ever hook a CCA Clive? after they've been in the elements about 10 years they're like trying to hook concrete a tree gaff would break off and you'd end up eatin dirt... and actually some guys at work all climb in Klien and were bitching about my bashlin gaffs being to long.... turns out the gaff is the same length but oriented on the climber differently.....

Edge

ain't ready to see God yet... but when I am... let it be in the 3 phase...
    lineworks funeral pyre...

Default make mine bashlins

i learned to climb in bashlin aluminums and love them, i just use the regular L pads, and they don't bother me any. i tried climbing in kleins and buckinghams before. didn't like the kleins, the buckinghams were ok but i like bashlin the best. been climbin just a month and a half short of 2 years now lol.
    Hemingray Insulators
    work smart, go home every night

9. Default Contour or staight

Do you guys prefer contoured or staight irons? I climb with straights but have tried the contoured and seems like they keep your feet a little farther away from the pole.

Talking Bashlins

Featured Sponsorr

Steel Bashlin offsets w/angled cpads.