Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Beef With Journeyman

Featured Sponsor

I Am An Apprentine For A Co-op In S.tx And My Mentor Has 13 Yrs Exp. I Run The Digger,climb Poles,help Out The Grunts Shovel,drive Groundrods And He Is Still On My Ass ,the Foreman Thinks Im Doing Great,but When He Is Gone The Journeyman Is On My Ass , Im Climbing More And Helping Him Out,he Is A Bucketman And A Weak Climber He Is About 290lbs,i Think Since Im Moving Up ,he Feels A Threat,what Can I Do To Overcome This Problem,any Advice?

Thanks For The Advice, He Is Dangerous ,cuts Corners ,blames Other People For His Mistakes .we Say How Many Guts Do U Need,he Says I Will Be Done In A Minute ,he Doesnt Make His Groundman Ground The The Bucket ,he Doesnt Wear His Sleeves,come On ,and Im Supose To Learn From This Dude.

no one respects him ,they are always ragging on him, because when he is on call ,he is always calling for a bucket ,he leaves people out of power ,the 8 journeyman there hate him because of shit like that ,they have to go and mop up after him,but like i said we are short handed and the uppers just talk to him ,once we get to full staff,he might go on down the road,

thanks for the advice,will do,be safe my brother.

Question Question?

Are you Union? Do you have a written Apprentice agreement? Do you have a Apprentice committee?
    1. Talk to your Shop Steward.
    2. Get a log book and everyday when you get home write down all that happened that day, good bad or indifferent.
    3. Watch your ass and don't let this guy talk you into doing something that well get you killed. If he wants to bust you to the Utility you have the log book to fall on.
    Some lineman think you need to treat apprentices like sh1t, that's just how they are, the industry is full of them. Work hard and do a good job, because when you top out it's time to bust his BALLS.

i know exactly what your going through im runnin into this where im at too. have a jw that is an ass not real safe. it makes you have to watch your self for the stupid things hes doing. it makes it real hard to learn from someone like that also. i have gotten to the point where i ask myself whats gonna happen if i do this when im doing something to make sure im doing the right thing. i belive the same thing is its a threat thing they think your gonna replace them and they will be down the road. like said above biggest thing is keep a log of whats goin on so if the crap hits the fan your covered instead of lookin through the want ads. we have a few guys like that here and it sucks it keeps me motivated to keep goin to school for my engineering degree so i dont have deal with them, its people like this is the reason people still die in this trade.

Make sure your end of the deal is buttoned down tight. Make sure you do everything you are supposed to do. Make sure that if you do end up going to your GF and get a crew swap that you are sure because if you have the same problem twice they are going to assume its you not the journeymen. I got my fair share of screaming at when I was coming up, much of it deserved. I am no worse for it. Another thing is you need thick skin in this trade no matter where you go. Lineman love to bust balls. Good luck, work hard, and remember someday you will topout, and its his turn.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by necpoletop View Post
    I Am An Apprentine For A Co-op In S.tx And My Mentor Has 13 Yrs Exp. I Run The Digger,climb Poles,help Out The Grunts Shovel,drive Groundrods And He Is Still On My Ass ,the Foreman Thinks Im Doing Great,but When He Is Gone The Journeyman Is On My Ass , Im Climbing More And Helping Him Out,he Is A Bucketman And A Weak Climber He Is About 290lbs,i Think Since Im Moving Up ,he Feels A Threat,what Can I Do To Overcome This Problem,any Advice?
    If he's 290lbs, that bucket's screaming for relief!!!!

Wink you can win

Be nice to the guy.

His insecurity and immaturity will catch up with him sooner or later.

Believe me, dont make waves, let the jerk hang himself,

Dont take a stand unless he puts you or anybody else in harms way.

This guy will bury himself with his bad attitude and inabilty sooner or later.

I have delt with these types a few times, and came on strong only to find they are "connected".

The bottom line is to insure the safety of your brothers.

His problem is not your problem.

My best advice is to never talk sh!t about anybody.

Management will eventually sort out the problem. They aint near as dumb as they look.

Be yourself and work hard and dont fret this turd.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by necpoletop View Post
    Some guys think that's how to teach an app. everyone has a different style of teaching. Some teach by showing you what not to do, sometimes those are the lessons most remembered. Some think that riding an app. is the way to make them better. He was probably ridden himself. Just remember how it felt after you journey out. Try for a crew change and if that don't work, hunker down and let the crap roll off your back. Good luck