Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default power leg/stinger/or 208 leg

Featured Sponsor

went on a low wire call.the electrician was removing the old roof and knocked the panel off. he tied back to the wall. when i got there i asked him if they were going to increase the loading and he said yes they were going from a 200 amp panel to 400 amp.told him i would remove the service since it would be to small for the new stuff. it is a 3 pot bank(3 single phase120/240volt pots)4 wire secondary.i asked him if they would be using a power leg on the new stuff,he said i dont think so,your bank is wired delta isnt it?i just said yes it is and when your ready we will wire you right up.always thought the 208 leg in the meter socket had to be the top right hand jaw? thoughts,experiences,or am i way off. thanks

We always put red tape on the 'bastard leg'. But here in Mass. we dont wire up meter sockets.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Default bastard leg

when i told him we would wire him right up i meant i would connect our service to his weatherhead with no regard to the power leg .going to make sure he puts in writing that there is no power leg and signs it.wonder what the cust will do when his stuff fries? sorry about the confusion loodvig.

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    went on a low wire call.the electrician was removing the old roof and knocked the panel off. he tied back to the wall.
    The "electrician" was removing a roof?

Or was this some builder Jack of all trades?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    when i told him we would wire him right up i meant i would connect our service to his weatherhead with no regard to the power leg .going to make sure he puts in writing that there is no power leg and signs it.wonder what the cust will do when his stuff fries? sorry about the confusion loodvig.
    No confusion at all. Some power companys DO wire all the way down to the socket.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Default Personally

I would run the new service but would not hook it up at the weather head untill the electrician clearly marked the wire. Even though he signed what ever , my ass would still be in a sling, if something happened.

Koga

I was always told to mark the wild leg with blue tape. Different parts of the country I guess.

Now see, here in the UK we have the three phases and a neutral. That's it. No wild legs or special voltages for lighting. No triple ended high-delta Y-force end terminated power taps with false ground lifted hot legs. It's just 230 or 400V and that's your whack for secondary.

If it's a house being fed then they get a 230v phase and neutral. If it's a bigger house or commercial/industrial premises they get the three phases and a neutral.

If it's a special industrial application that requires a weird voltage like a steelworks, then they get the primary to their transformers and deal with it themselves.

So simple. So almost idiot proof.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Cool Same here

Quote Originally Posted by TRAMPLINEMAN View Post
    I was always told to mark the wild leg with blue tape. Different parts of the country I guess.
    It was blue at my last utility and it's red where I work now. High leg, kicker, power leg, stinger.

Featured Sponsorr

mark it and check voltage and pie plate it. GAVE EM THE voltage...let the narrowbacks figure it out! Were HI-VOLTAGE...had narrowbacks ask me about the tap-changer on a three-phase padmount one time...MY response was this...YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT THREE-PHASE LOAD AND I'M NOT GONNA EXPLAIN IT TO YA! The lead man said that he could correct any varience by simply changing the tap changer!; I explained that no you cannot do that...without de-energizing the equipment. woody...p.s. two narrowbacks critically injured this year in the n.w. woody