Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Mag

Featured Sponsor

Yeah, but just remember that Bighead ain't made of money, so I'm sure he'd probably appreciate a gift in return...
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Yup, very well written, for sure.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Wish I'd known that defibrillators were originally invented specifically to save the lives of linemen when I wrote that article. It would have been a bit different....

Maybe the power industry needs a reminder that it originally funded the research into the prototypes of these machines in the first place.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Was a great article. Wished I could write that well

Quote Originally Posted by WCLR View Post
    Was a great article. Wished I could write that well
    And yet ironically.... I was looking at joining the Merchant Navy recently and failed at the first hurdle. O-level English. I've got maths, arithmetic, Tech Drawing, woodwork and higher Physics, but somehow managed to fail "English" twice to the absolute disbelief of my English teachers. This is probably because "English" at that time involved the analysis of Shakespearean drama and dreadful high-brow poems that didn't actually rhyme.

Even more surprising is that they weren't interested in the fact that after school I excelled at college during my apprenticeship and got 8 distinctions and three credits in electrical distribution, installation and associated electronics. It's just that O-level "English" that has come back to haunt me from 27 years ago.

What's even more disturbing is the sheer number of people I know who also failed "English" despite being highly literate. Suddenly you realise that some individuals were prevented from pursuing a technical career because the British education system was a bit full of itself.

www.bigclive.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    And yet ironically.... I was looking at joining the Merchant Navy recently and failed at the first hurdle. O-level English. I've got maths, arithmetic, Tech Drawing, woodwork and higher Physics, but somehow managed to fail "English" twice to the absolute disbelief of my English teachers. This is probably because "English" at that time involved the analysis of Shakespearean drama and dreadful high-brow poems that didn't actually rhyme.

Even more surprising is that they weren't interested in the fact that after school I excelled at college during my apprenticeship and got 8 distinctions and three credits in electrical distribution, installation and associated electronics. It's just that O-level "English" that has come back to haunt me from 27 years ago.

What's even more disturbing is the sheer number of people I know who also failed "English" despite being highly literate. Suddenly you realise that some individuals were prevented from pursuing a technical career because the British education system was a bit full of itself.
    Apparently "The Merchant of Venice" "Othello" and "Romeo and Juliet" werent your thing.....mine either Clive If you were not successful in your effort to become a Merchant Seaman because of your "English" shortfall, it's their loss Clive.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

I've not given up yet. I like the idea of re-training in the mechanical side of things. The opportunity to brush up on my welding skills, learn how to use a lathe properly and fix huge engines is strangely appealing for some reason.

It's also the perfect job for a single man, since I'd get fed.

Up to this point Maersk reckon I could even fit it in round the Edinburgh Tattoo power work I do every year.

www.bigclive.com

Blog Entries

I've not given up yet. I like the idea of re-training in the mechanical side of things. The opportunity to brush up on my welding skills, learn how to use a lathe properly and fix huge engines is strangely appealing for some reason.

Up to this point Maersk reckon I could even fit it in round the Edinburgh Tattoo power work I do every year.
    Good luck then Clive, hope it works out!!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

I used to be able to weld great, was first in my class in trade school. I still miss it at times. I have the shakes from too many meds to do it anymore. Almost had a job in the Bahamas doing some welding back in the day but it fell through

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Another Great Issue this month!

Really enjoyed the article on Jason Townsend and his 1939 Hotstick trailer.

Hope Brian (Hemingway) gets the mag. He ought to get intouch with this guy about his insulator collection. This guys got over 3000 pieces in his collection Brian!!!

I think it's cool how he has put it in his will that if anything happens to him, his collection goes to the Linemans Museum. Pretty cool. THIS man's DEFINATELY in LOVE with the GREAT Trade of Linework!

Also enjoyed the article on "Who will keep the lights on". That's Sure a real "Thinkpiece" article. AND, the Lady who wrote it....her husband IS a Lineman.

Good Stuff Byron.
    ya swamp, i get the magazine, and yes i know about jason lol. talked to him quite a few times and got a few insulators. he hosts and insulator show in chicago in april every year.
    Hemingray Insulators
    work smart, go home every night