Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hitch-Hiking

Featured Sponsor

It's all personal preferance..................I used to run up the pole freeclimbing without regard to a fall on high-line poles, father time has a way of changing you, I do nothing but hitch-hike today .One day I had a real close call almost falling over 80 feet up unbuckeled, every since I have been using my safety belt..............it used to my worst enemy, but now it is my best friend..............alot of guys (including me in the past) are'nt comfortable with it, that's why they don't like it............get used to it for a longer career........take care...................

Ole' Sore Knees (still climbing)

If it a good pole and not too congested with conduit, phone cable tv etc... I'll usually free climb. If it is cluttered I feel a little better hitching.The few times I have cut out while free climbing (lucky I wasn't but 10-15 feet up, I was on the ground quicker than a cat can lick it ass. The times I've cut out hitchen, my chin was the first thing to hit the pole, but always seemed to get back in the pole pretty quick. I always hitch those skinny ass light poles 30 class 6's. Like working off the end of a damn fishin pole.

Usually free climb dist. poles until I get above all the junk. If there's very little room to gaff like between pipes or u-guards I'll throw the skid around but keep it pretty loose. So its still like free climbing with a little safety, just in case a twist of the belt causes my boot to rub and kick the gaff out. When I get in that no footing situation I need to swing around and stick the other side of the pole my skid is there already to go. Those slide buckle skids are the Shit too!

Usually free climb trans. poles until I get to the x braces or crossarm. I need a breather by the time I reach either of those anyway.

Free climb is the way to go. But get used to hitch-hiking, alot of companies are making in mandatory.

It don't much fu(king matter how you get there...just be able to do your job when you do.
    Outlaw Lineman "Be safe or be DEAD"

seanm402 Guest

I personally hitch hike more than free climb, especially on the very wide poles. I just feel safer doing it that way. I don't think it takes that much longer to get up the pole hitch hiking verses free climbing unless there is a bunch of objects on the pole, then I would probably free climb. I don't think it really matters how you get there if you don't know how to do the work when you are up there. I know a lot of guys that say if you don't free climb your a pussy, but I see them hitch hiking just as much as everyone else. I don't think hitch hiking makes you any less of a man. All that matters is that you are safe, comfortable, and enjoy what you are doing. Plus I think it is just a good way for the older guys to harass you a bit.

I have worked for companies that didn't care if you free climbed or belt climbed and I worked for a utility that required without exception that you belt climbed. In that past 31 years of climbing I still prefer free climbing and teach it to apprentices. But... as we age we tend to loose a bit of strength and find that it is now easier and more comfortable to belt climb clean poles and leave the free climbing to the congested poles.
    It is only a matter of time before we all have to two belt anything above the ground due to OSHA. When that happens and they take my choice away... I retire!
    Free climbing builds skills that are neccessary for climbing. It teaches confidence! There will be a situation when it has to be used and one needs to learn how to do it.
    Carry on brothers and work safely and teach safety.

I used to free climb almost always. But as they say ya get a little older then you have to adjust.My wrist and fingers are not what they used to be and sometimes it is just more comfortable to hitch. Of course I just grab the sides of the pole stap and I flip it up as I walk up the pole. Never stop just get in the rythm and go. Most of the stuff we climb is 35 and 40 distribution stuff, not always a lot of junk on the wood. We are rural and do not have to deal with under build and the like. Do what you are comfortable with.
    If you can build it you can fix it!

Default Both

I do both, mostly it depends on what I feel like that day. If I climb a bunch of poles in a day by the end of the day I hitchhike up but usually freestyle down. It's all what your comfortable with. As for cutting out ... I've cut out both freestyl and with a belt. Really don't matter. With a belt on your hook ussually winds up about shoulder hight cause only one hook resets. free style both hooks ussually rest at the same time.

RWD

Cool Eather way Now-a-days

Featured Sponsorr

I'm 48 and use a bucket most of the time. I was up a back country 60 ft'er last week. I did hitch hike the pole. Just because it was an old pole and wet. Most of the guys I work with hitch hike, when I first came here we had pole top rescue and I free climbed to the dummy. I got alot of crap from one lineman about it. He said I was trying to be cool. I told him to kiss my A$$ because that the way I climb. Now days I do it or not depends on the day I'm having.