Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lineman61520 Guest

Talking Chain saw policies.

Featured Sponsor

With most companies downsizing or terminating their foresty departments. I would like to know your thoughts or companie's policies on your service man (one man trucks) carring and using chain saws by themselves.
    Its pretty obvious that its not safe to be out there using a chainsaw by yourself, but I was just wondering how many serviceman do it.

Post Question back at ya

Are you talking about using a chainsaw for trimming a few limbs or to drop whole trees? Our company has no rule against one man with glasses, hardhat, and chaps trimming anything they want. We will even let the serviceman at his choice cut a tree top off of a dead and grounded line, however he can call for help to do so. If a whole tree is uprooted or leaning on a line we get at least two or more people there. Quite often where whole trees are involved we simply call the Right-of-way contractor to get the tree after we ground the line. Whoever runs the chainsaw though will have to have hardhat, glasses and chaps. We store the chaps with the saws on the trucks. We also do a safety review of chainsaw techniques about every two years.

Only rules we have at Rocky Mountian Power are ear plugs and chaps. Pretty much do what ever, when ever, except that we no longer go on long term tree trimming jobs.

T-Man Guest

Why should any one want to operate a chainsaw alone?

Wink chainsaws

They gave us T-Men extedible pole saws a few years back.

Dont carry one myself, I find by the time I get it out of the bin (placed on top of the driver side bins, so you need a ladder or have to crawl under the boom in the bed of the truck), get it started, use it, clean it, stow it, etc, I would already have trimmed all I need with a hand saw or blade on a universal stick.

Some guys use the hell out of 'em. Some others keep 'em so they can do some work around the house.

'Far as what I need, just enough trimmed to get at a fuse with an extendo, the ol' manual saw suffices.

I guess in some areas,tree conditions might require more chain saw work, but here, we have caught up with most of the line clearing, even more so than some of the other service areas.

If I run across a call that needs a lot of work, I just refer it to the pro tree trimmers, who are on call for out of service tickets.

I trim just enough to get the power back on. Then write it up for a tree crew.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

7. Default

We just had a safety meeting this morning that discussed chain saw safety here at National Grid.

8. Default Chain saws alone?

This is intriguing.
    First of all there has been a lot of research done by NASA in Texas about SUSPENSION TRAUMA otherwise known as ortostatic intolerance.
    The bottom line is that if a worker has to wear fall arrest equipment then he/she should never work alone.
    Second if a chain saw is being used incidentally then why doesn't the company purchase hydraulic chain saws. The won't kickback or run-on when the trigger is released.
    As a result chaps are not required and the dangers are minimized.
    The Old Lineman

just say no Guest

to answer your question t-man,these guys are gung-ho or suck ups....let them get hurt and see how much their company will back them....get me a tree crew or they'll stay out.......

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

In New Brunswick it is illegal for an employer to allow an employee to operate a chainsaw alone. we looked into the hydraulic saws but OHS said if it has a chain it is a chainsaw! Some complaining at first but now it seems to be gone. Small jobs done by hand otherwise wait for second man to get there. Be Safe!