Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pre_apprentice_ID View Post
    What is the difference between inside and outside?
    Outside is a lineman... inside is electrician.

2. Default

Thanks for all the helpful information.

I am waiting to hear from NLC for fall quarter. I am also applying to a few of the JATC's in the meantime, but I dont really have much immediate hope for it after hearing about everyones long waits.

Also I am going up to alaska to fish this summer so maybe I should wait on applying for any more JATC's cause I would hate to get called for an aptitude test or interview and be stuck up there.

I got a copy of the lineman and cablemans handbook and have been studying it....

What else can I do in the meantime to get ready for NLC and honestly, what can I expect there?

Quote Originally Posted by solobreakaway View Post
    I was noticing that the JATC in Alaska requires a year of residency before applying...

I also noticed the NEAT Jatc application requires a local address to process your application.

What are the rules and attitudes about people applying from out of the area?

My home state is Washington, meaning going to Volta. But its all locked up for the year.

Am I allowed to apply anywhere?
    Some of the linemen's JATCs are reluctant to accept applicant from outside of their area because they feel after 7,000 hours and the expense of training, you will then return to you home area.

Also they have no problem getting all the qualified applicants they need from their own geographic area.
    Last edited by tolex42; 04-22-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Default Muni's and Public Utilities

Default Investor Owned Utilities

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt View Post
    Welcome CF! Safety is important .......even to those ole nasty dag gum rat contractors. Horrible creatures that they are! Hang tough. We got a few uppity folks(Lineman snobs) here, but ain't that like on any type of line job? Or anywhere you may go?

Looking forward to more posts from you sir!

--LA

8. Default

wow... im new to this forum and career field.

I cant believe how deep the division seems to be between union and non union workers.

I don't really understand it, but I have a feeling I will soon.

I do got to say though, that unions always seemed like a good idea, from a workers point of view and in a field as dangerous as this, it seems a prerequisite.

Profit pressure from private firms just doesn't seem like it would fit in with safety.

You guys should read 'Sometimes a Great Notion' by Ken Kesey.
    It has a lot to do with this same division in the labor force, this very issue, and its a really great read.

9. Default new guy

Hello everyone

Newbie here, my local union hall will be taking apps for lineman and substation work and I am considering trying to get into this profession. I have been reading threads in this forum and I know it is Lineman forum but can anyone shed any info about working at a substation?

Thanks
    bill

10. Default what tools do you need in what order?

Featured Sponsorr

As you begin an ibew apprenticeship....

what tools are you expected to have? where should you get them from ? and how much are you looking at to get started? by your seventh step?

thanks

i dont want to buy the wrong things, things i dont need, or things that will break or make me an incomplete lineman.