Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pike?

1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    I just talked to my buddy who has been with pike 12 years. Basically Pike pays their Linemen according to where the crews are working.

Right here in Florida, at OUC in orlando, the bottom scale for an A Lineman is $28 bucks an hour. The Pike crews workin on Duke Power property, which is...like half of Florida, Make $34 Bucks an hour. Best I can tell ya Paul is the scale is different for Linemen, depending Where the Pike Crews are working and What State they are working in.

Like Labor said, ya need to talk to the head hunter. He should DEFINATELY be able to give you what the Hourly Pay is and how much overtime you might expect. The health care Pike provides...by my buddys opinion is pretty good. He's had some serious shit go on with his back and, though he had to pay a couple grand out of his own pocket...the back surgery which was in the 20K area was taken care of by his Pike insurance.

Their safety has vastly improved over the years. I don't know what the currency breakdown would be for you, or how taxes would work, but Are you makin 34 bucks an hour now?

One other thing...You WILL wear Fire proof Clothing, which Pike Provides, rubber Sleeves, rubber boots and rubber Gloves...which they also provide..."Ground to Ground if you're climbing, or Cradle to Cradle if you are in the Bucket."

Next Time ya talk to the head hunter, and ask him some more questions...I'd like to hear what he tells ya. Like FIRST...Where the hell is the Job...STATE, etc, Transmission or Distribution? Let us know man, and Merry Christmas and The Best to ya in the New Year!!
    Don't really know what a "craic" is, but if it's a fuckin good time after work...they're Linemen. What would you expect? :-)
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Maybe where you're at, but up here they're knocking down the doors to get into training. Last years class had over 600 try out for 20 spots......
    Same here in St. Louis, Missouri. Anywhere from 100 to 1000 applicants for every 1 apprenticeship for AmerenUE. (local power company). I myself applied January 2015, but got no response back. Note, I spent 16yrs. trying to break in (1985-2001). Never got a single chance anywhere I tried. Should have moved to Florida, Texas, Wyoming or maybe Nevada?
    Last edited by stiffneck; 12-24-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Incorrect date
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    Never got a single chance anywhere I tried. Should have moved to Florida, Texas, Wyoming or maybe Nevada?
    That's really too bad, seriously.

If I had tried THAT hard, and truly wanted to get into Linework...sorry, I would have got on with a non union contractor.

My case personally, I always worked for Munis. When I came back from overseas, I was really too old at 52 to actually get on with a union outfit.

So...I just went to work for a non union contractor...workin for a "union"...sorta...outfit.
    Last edited by Old Line Dog; 01-13-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Featured Sponsorr

[QUOTE=Old Line Dog;148413]That's really too bad, seriously.

If I had tried THAT hard, and truly wanted to get into Linework...sorry, I would have got on with a non union contractor.

Old, in my early years, I didn't know non IBEW contractors did line work. All I knew was "Union Electric" now "AmerenUE" and they did everything, never saw a contractor. 1992 was the year of the big push. I applied to every single utility/co-op in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, Indiana and a few others beyond. With some follow up 1-3 yrs. with zero result. I did it the old fashion way, with out the internet. Had a variety of related experiences and clean record, didn't matter. Also got the standard middle finger from IBEW Local-1 and 2, twice each. Anyway, that was then, this is now. Recent pay increases at Airport and Arthritic reminders that, I'm here to the finish line. As far as IBEW nepotism, here in Missouri, it's only weeks away from being nuked. And I have two recent examples that should make even the most strident liberal's head spin.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson