Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New job

Default New job

Featured Sponsor

Well fellas, I had to change jobs recently, and I have to admit I wish I didn't have to. The gf for the new place came from transmission, we work live distribution everyday . I went on as a foreman, took on a 64 pole job , rebuilding a small area in a bigger city. In less than a month we had all the poles in about 15 primary transfers done and about half of the first street framed to string new secondaries, with 6 guys an rbd and a double bucket. The gf started hassling me cause he said it was too slow, I won't be pushed nor will I try to rush my crew, that's when problems happen.

Well the gf likes to through his weight around and busted me back to sub, that really hurt my feelings, ha ha.

This past week I was working with a 26 year old foreman , with 10 years on and a licensed mechanic to boot! ( doesn't add up to me) Imagine 4 bucket trucks spread out over 10 spans with a groundman operator and foreman on the ground. Does that sound like trouble waiting to happen to you?

That sounds like two more buckets and two more ground helpers than we would have. Seems like nowadays a 26 year old foreman is a little too old to be a foreman.

I hear ya Tramplineman! It seems that all these companies want is young guys with no experience running crews, might just as well hire all ' yes men'. The trouble with this outfit is almost all of the men are quite young, with less than 10 years on. I am a rarity at this place. Really I am quite concerned about one of these guys getting hurt bad, just trying to figure a way to bring about some good changes to make it a good place to work, any ideas how to go about making changes would be really appreciated.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

About all you can do is try to teach if they are open to listening, and CYA. Hell my grandson just starting in the trade has more respect for older lineman than what it sounds like this outfit has, but then I have had to beat it into him. There is a lot to be said for starting out as a grunt rather than going to an apprentice school, and graduating knowing it all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    About all you can do is try to teach if they are open to listening, and CYA. Hell my grandson just starting in the trade has more respect for older lineman than what it sounds like this outfit has, but then I have had to beat it into him. There is a lot to be said for starting out as a grunt rather than going to an apprentice school, and graduating knowing it all.

+1..........!
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Hey US & CA Tramp, your right on! So far most of the young fellas are quite eager and willing to learn. Of the young foreman, one is completely full of himself and the other isn't so bad just lacks experience. It's the gf that's a total tool, came from transmission and thinks he knows how to run distribution. How's your grandson doing?

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Hey US & CA Tramp, your right on! So far most of the young fellas are quite eager and willing to learn. Of the young foreman, one is completely full of himself and the other isn't so bad just lacks experience. It's the gf that's a total tool, came from transmission and thinks he knows how to run distribution. How's your grandson doing?
    The grandson just got his DZ license and Finnerty says he will probably get him out with KLine. I have got the kid tooled up and have been trying to drill some sense into him. The biggest thing I have been trying to drill into him is "LISTEN" to his Lineman, and when they call him different names take it as they like him. If they don't like him they won't say any thing to him. He is close enough to me that I can keep him on the right track.

Yeah bud that's exactly how K-line is , all the trade up here for that matter. Sounds like I would like working with your grandson, a little respect and I will teach ! As for K-line I have worked there a couple of times , and the majority of the fellas are decent, the foreman are pretty good too!

Well the new job has turned in to a not so fun job. A couple of weeks ago, I got demoted from subforeman to foreman , I didn't even to bother to ask why. So I went back to wearing my orange helmet that I have worn for 20 odd years. The gf had a hissy fit , said I had to wear a yellow one, and did provide me with one. Dang thing doesn't fit very well. Then a week later he wants to give me a verbal warning , on paper at quitting time on Thursday afternoon( last day of the week) , I told him that we will deal with this on company time at a later date with a union rep present. That later date was yesterday morning , first thing. He had passed it to the HR lady , she came in early, presented it to me , read it and sign it. I read it but refused to sign it. The HR lady says well I guess you cat work. The gf has a fit and suspends me for a week . I have been wearing the company issued helmet the whole time ( still doesn't fit) and dealing with the safety department the trying to get one that does fit. The union is involved right now, I will let you fellas know how it plays out.

I am am putting this on to warn you fellas about gf's like this, he is a bit younger, claims to have been in the trade 20 years , 10 years managing. He came from transmission. We do live distribution work mostly 27.6kv.

I find ins this guy to be very petty and he is doing his best to control everyone around him. He got quite mad at me when I was foreman because I worked my job as I saw fit , not his way. He sure hates it when I say , I have been doing live work for 30 years. He hates it even more when I tell him I am not wasting my breath arguing with him and walk away!

Featured Sponsorr

Hang in there. If the job is going that way, and the GF wants to have his thumb on every one like that then it is not only a shitty place to work the GF makes it unsafe. The best jobs and the most work completed is when ALL crew members participate instead of just the GF pulling the strings like you are all a bunch of puppets. That GF will get his reputation, and it is best to run not walk away from his jobs.