Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Goofy management tales. Continue on...

Featured Sponsor

Had a safety guy. Said he is firing everyone if they use a cell phone. The company provided no radios. The only means of coordinating trucks and manpower were through our phones. The GFs, foreman were calling everyone through personal phones.

He he came up to me screaming when I was on my phone, asked him if he wanted to talk to his boss? Because he was on the phone with me.

Since when does a safety guy make the rules?Secondly,if he had a cell phone that would mean that he also uses it during work,if not he would have left it at home.There would be no need for it .Anyway that day is gone,possibly in the late 80s but no way now.

Here is my screwy safety guy encounter, I had just started doing work at that utility. I had a double circuit 3 phase 4kv dead end pole isolated and grounded and we were replacing the lead riser pole cable out of a station. This line ran on the opposite side of a ROW, 115kv on towers on the other side. Safety guy comes along says I have to ground my truck and wear rubber gloves. Of course I respond, Why? His answer induction , man , from the transmission line. I go, why? I am less than 10 feet from my line grounds. Safety guy runs away when I come down out of the air. " I am not talking to you" he says!

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Safety guy runs away when I come down out of the air. " I am not talking to you" he says!
    That suggests you either intimidated him or are "heavy set". Win-win either way.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Back when I was a young Jy, I had a habit of carrying a screwdriver in the rear pocket of my jeans,mostly while framing a poles.This one safety guy seemed obsessed with telling me to removed it.I swear,he would come for miles to find me and my screwdriver.The only time that he wouldn't say anything was if it was raining ,then it was safe I guess.Cause he wasn't about to get out of his vehicle during the rain.Which reminds me....how many of those safety guys went on your jobs while the weather was extreme or pouring rain?

Well , Clive , I am not heavy set!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Here is my screwy safety guy encounter, I had just started doing work at that utility. I had a double circuit 3 phase 4kv dead end pole isolated and grounded and we were replacing the lead riser pole cable out of a station. This line ran on the opposite side of a ROW, 115kv on towers on the other side. Safety guy comes along says I have to ground my truck and wear rubber gloves. Of course I respond, Why? His answer induction , man , from the transmission line. I go, why? I am less than 10 feet from my line grounds. Safety guy runs away when I come down out of the air. " I am not talking to you" he says!
    Safety Guys...
    One of the main reasons I retired.

I was installin an arrester on "A" phase on a 3 phase 7200 staight thru pole...just 3 Primarys and a neutral man...
    My truck in a parking lot, with A and B phase on the right side of my bucket.

Had A and B covered with guts and hoods on the insulators, my truck is grounded to the neutral...yea, yea, yea... Safety guy rolls up.

"Gonna have to write ya up man." For WHAT? "Ya don't have C Phase covered up." Unsnapped my "Harness", unassed the bucked, told my app. "Pull up the Jacks man, take me to the yard, I fuckin Quit." I just don't do STUPID. That was...2004. Yea, I went back after 2 days, cause they called me.

For about another 6 months of workin under stupid shit like that. Then just said Fuck it, and REALLY retired. Till I got called back for Ike for 6 weeks...then "Retired" again...LAST Time!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Safety Guys...
    One of the main reasons I retired.

I was installin an arrester on "A" phase on a 3 phase 7200 staight thru pole...just 3 Primarys and a neutral man...
    My truck in a parking lot, with A and B phase on the right side of my bucket.

Had A and B covered with guts and hoods on the insulators, my truck is grounded to the neutral...yea, yea, yea... Safety guy rolls up.

"Gonna have to write ya up man." For WHAT? "Ya don't have C Phase covered up." Unsnapped my "Harness", unassed the bucked, told my app. "Pull up the Jacks man, take me to the yard, I fuckin Quit." I just don't do STUPID. That was...2004. Yea, I went back after 2 days, cause they called me.

For about another 6 months of workin under stupid shit like that. Then just said Fuck it, and REALLY retired. Till I got called back for Ike for 6 weeks...then "Retired" again...LAST Time!
    I see your point swampy,but instead of being a hot head,why didn't you go back into the cab and offer the idiot your pen and tell him go ahead, Sir !

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    I see your point swampy,but instead of being a hot head,why didn't you go back into the cab and offer the idiot your pen and tell him go ahead, Sir !
    Hot head? No reppy. I just know FRIGGING STUPID, when I see it, and won't abide by it.. THAT was back in the day. Nowdays?...I'd be fired for ASSAULT on that ingnorant asshole!!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Hot head? No reppy. I just know FRIGGING STUPID, when I see it, and won't abide by it.. THAT was back in the day. Nowdays?...I'd be fired for ASSAULT on that ingnorant asshole!!
    Well if they called you back in two days,that alone shows that you didn't break any major rule.And to me you were in the right ,I mean really why cover up the far phase? Most places state conductors within reach or falling distance need to be covered .You can have all the covering in the world and still get hurt in this trade.Ive seen guys put 6 line guards on each phase just to change out a V-20/small 12 kv insulator and that's not necessary .Each safety man has his own idea on how many guards it takes....and with the idiots coming up they might want the whole span covered,beats me...Now if you were really sharp,you should have asked the idiot which way does the nut go on?.....catch my drift?
    Last edited by reppy007; 02-15-2016 at 09:30 PM.