1. Question Lineman pay VS Lineman Supervisor/manager pay?

Featured Sponsor

What's the pay range look like past Journeman lineman, like Managers/supervisors right above JM Lineman?

Blog Entries

First things first, become a lineman, learn the trade, put your time in, then if you have the wherewithal and intestinal fortitude to deal with all the know nothings you'll-be working for weigh your options on the money difference.

Seen too many kids top out and talked into supervisors position when they weren't good JLs yet. Seen one guy quite recently top out and jump the fence within months, 6 months later he has a nervous breakdown and is in a corner playing in his own shit.

moral of the story, learn the trade and put your time in before you consider taking that step.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Default Foreman is bargaining unit

foreman is bargaining unit member. Most just have a 5% to 10% over lineman. They should be 60 40 men over company. Usually are.

GF will be percentage also. But they should be more company. Some are more men. Good GF's really work hard: job plan, order material, get the mis digs. Keep the equipment up, schedule work and the assets. Know who is really working, who are the duds and ass kissers. Know politics. Can read people. Know integrity. Then you got GFs who Are the cause of politics, have puppet foreman, aren't honest, don't have integrity and will destroy all those around them. They last awhile, then they will lose all the work. Have to go sign the books as a JL. And can't get out because 200 guys have grudges. Then they have to move across the country and destroy all in their way to be a GF again.

its about maturity, being well raised and working with people. Good foreman are usually in their 30s 40s. Good GFs in their 50s and 60s. Companies try to buck the trend all the time, get younger guys, but it turns into some quagmire organization usually. Accidents and lawsuits happen when young guys get over their heads. If you get a lazy guy, and blames everyone else for lack of production, who is usually the guy who sneaks out at 2 pm. Doesn't preflight. Doesn't do something. And the crews have all the burden. Seen that lots.

Blog Entries

Bobby, you're right, I should have specified I was talking Utility where first line supervisors are not in the bargaining unit. Utility where I'm at has lower to middle management that has no idea what makes the lites go on. Upper management don't know either so the put yes men/women in those positions cuz they won't argue with them..... Sad state of affairs......
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Given the extra responsibility and indeed the liability for the rest of the people on your crew, including the disobedient little kid that wants to prove himself. Is it really worth the small percentage of extra cash?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

In Connecticut it used to be a job one aspired to, those days are long gone there was always a wage gap between the two but the linemen usually made more at the end of the year. They even had something they called a compression check ,if there was big storms where everybody worked the linemen would outpace the management because management worked a flat rate on OT where the help had 1 1/2 and double time plus other benefits. So at the end of the year the supervisors would get a check to bring them into the same range as the help, but most of that stopped 5-10 years ago making management a place for unskilled, unknowing people taking supervisor jobs. Hell Outsource Energy is hiring retired military people I guess they feel they don't need knowledge just blind obedience to run a utility.

Featured Sponsorr

I can tell you from personal experience, the extra pay isn't worth it , especially if you have the disobedient little kid out to prove himself ,AND thinks he knows everything.

Foreman is union here to , 10% above JL. In utilities , foreman is management. (mostly yes men). Heck I interviewed for a sub-foreman job once. During the interview I found out the position was going to be non-union (a new position at a small utility), I politely turned it down on the spot and ended the interview.