Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Well Bobbo, all I can think of that came from us is the fall arrest. The most common pole strap we use is the Jelco pole choker 4. If I remember correctly it was initially developed by 2 lineman from Ontario Hydro and called the Huntsville choker.
    As for rubber sleeves, I have only used them when I worked in the US, and man are they a pita!

Some places here still make you wear class 2 gloves for everything, the odd one will make you wear class 4. Believing you have to wear gloves rated for the highest voltage on the pole, even if you are 20 feet away. ( crap)

We contractors fought very hard for clothing and finally got it only in the last few years, we had to supply our own before that, and yeah , upwards of $100.00 for a shirt really hurts coming out of our own pocket. Since we finally won that battle each company does it different. Some just supply the clothing. My company gives us a decent allowance , then we order direct from the factory.

I think our biggest problem here is safety men , that started into the trade, learned enough to be scared, became safety men and then get to tell us what we can and cant do based on their fear! Heck I had one safety man want me to wear rubber gloves on isolated and de-energized line, and install a truck ground, just because there was a 115kv line on the other side of the ROW. His reasoning was "induction man , induction" from over 200 feet away!!!!!

Default At least your safety guys went through an apprenticeship.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Well Bobbo, all I can think of that came from us is the fall arrest. The most common pole strap we use is the Jelco pole choker 4. If I remember correctly it was initially developed by 2 lineman from Ontario Hydro and called the Huntsville choker.
    As for rubber sleeves, I have only used them when I worked in the US, and man are they a pita!

Some places here still make you wear class 2 gloves for everything, the odd one will make you wear class 4. Believing you have to wear gloves rated for the highest voltage on the pole, even if you are 20 feet away. ( crap)

We contractors fought very hard for clothing and finally got it only in the last few years, we had to supply our own before that, and yeah , upwards of $100.00 for a shirt really hurts coming out of our own pocket. Since we finally won that battle each company does it different. Some just supply the clothing. My company gives us a decent allowance , then we order direct from the factory.

I think our biggest problem here is safety men , that started into the trade, learned enough to be scared, became safety men and then get to tell us what we can and cant do based on their fear! Heck I had one safety man want me to wear rubber gloves on isolated and de-energized line, and install a truck ground, just because there was a 115kv line on the other side of the ROW. His reasoning was "induction man , induction" from over 200 feet away!!!!!
    We we had a douche safety guy was a project managers bartender. Didn't know a damn thing. Fired people for not wearing gloves and sleeves soft siding triplex!

our trade is a joke.

we have layers of people who police us. we are policed for the stupidity. And most make more than lineman or foreman. Some places have a company guy making 200k a year, then utility guys making 200 k a year each. The pressure to pay for all these guys plus do your work and comply to all the stupidity, makes this job totally suck. I want to get out and most of my friends want to get out. No ones happy. I would rather make half of what I do in something else and go through less bullshit.

so a crew has to produce more than before, with rules that make it 2 times less efficient. But the companies want the same production and expect it.

For 25 yrs didn't know out of an 8 hour day, federal law we are to have 15 minute break morning and afternoon, plus our lunch. So 20 years, I gave away2 1/2 hours a week to the company. Gave the companies. Gave the companies over 2500 hours in my lifetime. That's a lot of money.

if they want to follow all the dumb shit OSHA has. Follow every law that exists. Follow it to a T. Get the 20 cones, 6 signs up and down the road, even if it's a dead end with one house. At 10 and 2 go to your trucks and have your break, even during outages. Follow the FCSMA laws, don't even know what those are,'but after 16 hours driving stop. The next day you are not aloud to drive til you get your ten hour break. if the government and companies are going to be dicks. Know every law and follow it.
    Post all the federal laws on this site,according to driving, spacing out your signs... Everything. Information and knowledge is power my friends. If everyone is going to get goofy, lineman can get goofier. Wear that fucking goofy mask. In Wisconson when it's sub freezing and you cant see out of your mask,just stand in the bucket for eight hours until you can see, even if you have to wait to April. if every lineman in the country just sat there until he could see with his dumbass arc helmet to do the work , dumbsshit will change quick!

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Examples.....??
    http://www.ibew.org/articles/07daily...71202_OSHA.htm Also, look up previous postings on this form; "Forum/Linework Forum/ FR clothing and FR clothing? And, Forum/Powerline Magazine/New OSHA rules coming; JRT posting. Non specific, but general direction of involvement, that helped get it started.
    Last edited by stiffneck; 12-30-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
    http://www.ibew.org/articles/07daily...71202_OSHA.htm Also, look up previous postings on this form; "Forum/Linework Forum/ FR clothing and FR clothing? And, Forum/Powerline Magazine/New OSHA rules coming; JRT posting. Non specific, but general direction of involvement, that helped get it started.
    B

Let me get this straight, OSHA says I gotta wear the stuff, and you think it's a negative that employer has to pay for it?

Listen, the rules absolutely suck, but if you think for one second the rules wouldn't be much more onerous if the IBEW and the UWUA had no input you're wrong. At least there was some sanity at the table.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

You said it right Bobbo. Thats exactly what fellas need to do , fight with the equipment they want us to use, follow their dumb rules and that will show them how non-productive these things are. Of course there is the possibility they don't care, if that is the case they shouldn't be contracting, that attitude is big in the utility world.
    I am in a great situation where I work, great foreman, knows how to get things done , knows how to take care of the guys, knows how to give and take and knows when to speak his mind. Of course he is older and near to retirement.
    Granted some safety guys do try to be a bit reasonable but then the dang lawyers have them all running scared, so most of them just quote the rule book. This one fella I mentioned , he just comes up with dumb ideas , claims they are rules . and the utility backs him 100%. I would never consider working for that utility, if I did ,I would probably lead a mutiny against that safety guy!

Custer's Last Stand, St. Louis City, Missouri, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    B

Let me get this straight, OSHA says I gotta wear the stuff, and you think it's a negative that employer has to pay for it?

Listen, the rules absolutely suck, but if you think for one second the rules wouldn't be much more onerous if the IBEW and the UWUA had no input you're wrong. At least there was some sanity at the table.
    You've missed the point completely. YOU asked for examples from O.L.D. and I gave YOU something close to home for YOU to investigate further. I NEVER STATED THAT I THINK OSHA OR YOUR IBEW SHOULD HAVE THE FINAL SAY AT THE WORK ZONE WHERE ONLY YOU AND CREW AND NOBODY ELSE ARE ACTUALLY DOING THE WORK. Further more, in the past when we have an issue, the only thing Local-1 did was this statement; "We have a contractor that can do this job." Additionally, I've had to buy my own safety voltage gloves and long sleeve shirts because the CITY OF ST. LOUIS WON'T DO IT! I've already file grievances in the past, that went no where. We are considered expendable by St. Louis City Democrats and YOUR IBEW! Case example #1, historically we went into the manholes with one of two 4.1K circuits energized. Back in around 1997 or so the night shift shop steward asked that the other line be de-energized, OR we receive the same PPE and precautions and procedures that the local Utility receive, if they work with one of two hot. The Democrat controlled city said no for both options. The shop steward took this to the local and then BA Frances "Fran" Dunsford said; I can take care of this. Next thing to happen, contractor comes in to do our work and we de-energize the other circuit. Safety at my work place is so far from what it should be, in part because the Airport is government. And, government always exempts itself, by having a separate but not 100% equal polices. As far as the overboard situation you have, been there done that with reflective vest, traffic cones, seat belt usage, sometimes to a point of being silly. I AGREE with you there. HOWEVER, some of this was started by your labor club. Over 200 accident reports where submitted by your org back in the day. Stated by one of your own, on this forum several years ago. Look it up yourself, remember I not qualified. O.L.D made a statement and I looked it up. I agree that it's OVERBOARD and not just for YOU. Not to leave out the mixed priorities either. Example, walking out the shop door with out a reflective vest... That's a no-no. Sharing class II gloves that have not been tested since new, (2007)... That's a yes-yes. Or buy your own, refuse to do the work, etc. By the way, where does your ibew stand on this? We are talking St. Louis City and Your ibew, where it all started over 100 years ago. CH
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" quote Michael Savage
    "When you deny a man his livelihood, it becomes personal" quote Chris Hanson

Blog Entries

YOU missed the point, I asked Old for an example. He and I have been have this sort of discourse for many years.

Far air as your situation goes, you say you've filed grievances so my assumption is you are in a union, possibly not and you filed with your not and you filed with your local government. If you're in a local, go bitch loud at your local meetings if you feel you have a grievance that's not addressed, if it's your town, good luck.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Hey Stiffneck, I am a little confused. Why are you blaming the IBEW? You aren't a member are you? It makes no sense to me why you blame a union , not your own, for your management's decisions supply or not supply you with the equipment you ask for . They make up your safety rules not the IBEW , so its only right that you go after them. Are you in a union? Which one?

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Your rant is a little confusing, but it sounds like you work for a municipality. Municipalities are not covered by OSHA, but by your state or city. If you want to change things get all of your coworkers to stand together and go to the top such as company manager, president, or city council. It is up to you and your coworkers to change your conditions. It doesn't matter if you are union or non union, stand together and make a change in your working conditions.

Oh what is the definition of a union????

Just my 2 cents worth.

Default Seen guys get banned off,properties for stupid.

Featured Sponsorr

When a utility bans you off a property for the most foolish stuff. You are screwed. No way to feed,your family.

yes I hate all this. I hate how everything is. I don't see anyone in our corner. If your banned, I haven't seen a hall have any power over those decisions.

I have seen guys make little mistakes. And they are done.

Seen a young man forget to lock his brake, the truck went down a hill and hit a barn. The young man can't work on that property. A good man.

If if a guy steals copper. That's alright.

just do,what you do to feed your,family. And pray and plee that someone or somebody will give a shit that can change things.

All I see is less and less knowledgeable people getting in. And it's going to get worse'and worse.

too much money can be made with all this madness.