Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    Here is the short version of what happened.

It all started because of a lineman doing some switching in a 4KV station in an old building. One of the switches broke when trying to get it open, and it went phase to phase. You all know how long it takes for a 4KV arc to kick everything out, and the lineman died. That was in the Boston area. Then in the Chicago area an apprentice died under the Supervision of a drunk GF. Both Instances were taken to court. That got the big contractors and utilities (lawyers) thinking, so they started a "Partnership" with OSHA. Several of the big boys like Quanta, Par, Edison, started having meetings with OSHA, this was around 2003. This Partnership came up with several different rules to satisfy OSHA, and get the law suits dropped. Guess what, they made them regulations! One of the Regulations was the arc flash s--t. Rather than the different Utilities figuring out just exactly where these regs apply, they just blanketed everything. Most of this s--t they make us wear is because the attorneys tell the Utilities to error on the side of caution. Soooo the Utilities decided to take all of the brains away from the Lineman.

So you all are right about the attorneys!
    1st instance, enclosed space faulty equipment. The second was it the one where they were inspecting a cotter key on an insulated static and the dude said push that cotter key in, and the apprentice was smoked by the induction, due the induction was feeding a transformer for those red blinking lights? That was around that time, 2000.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    1st instance, enclosed space faulty equipment. The second was it the one where they were inspecting a cotter key on an insulated static and the dude said push that cotter key in, and the apprentice was smoked by the induction, due the induction was feeding a transformer for those red blinking lights? That was around that time, 2000.

You are correct!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    Here is the short version of what happened.

It all started because of a lineman doing some switching in a 4KV station in an old building. One of the switches broke when trying to get it open, and it went phase to phase. You all know how long it takes for a 4KV arc to kick everything out, and the lineman died. That was in the Boston area. Then in the Chicago area an apprentice died under the Supervision of a drunk GF. Both Instances were taken to court. That got the big contractors and utilities (lawyers) thinking, so they started a "Partnership" with OSHA. Several of the big boys like Quanta, Par, Edison, started having meetings with OSHA, this was around 2003. This Partnership came up with several different rules to satisfy OSHA, and get the law suits dropped. Guess what, they made them regulations! One of the Regulations was the arc flash s--t. Rather than the different Utilities figuring out just exactly where these regs apply, they just blanketed everything. Most of this s--t they make us wear is because the attorneys tell the Utilities to error on the side of caution. Soooo the Utilities decided to take all of the brains away from the Lineman.

So you all are right about the attorneys!
    all correct, I will add that the insurance companys also pressure the employer for us to wear and use all the bullshit, when we wear the stuff the employer pays lees in insurance premiums.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

if it was any of your business you would know

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    We always had the right tool: pick up macs, load buster, and clamp amp to calculate load. If we weren't in a situation to do it hot, we de energized source.

I don't understand this flash gear that's mandated?

i am trying to figure out how a government can make laws that no one wants? The properties that push this dumb stuff are going to get the real dumb people who need flash gear!

Out of 1000 lineman I worked with, 2 were Freddy Kruegers. And they were dumb!

rubber gloving will be so difficult to do anymore. It's going to revert back to the way we did it before.

I have never yet to see lineman use a buck squeeze yet.

As as far as that face shield, who thought of that dumb thing?

was it a council of really dumb people who never did this before say that's a good idea!

remember they pushed overshoes in the late 90s. Guys were tripping and falling all over. Then the extra 3 pounds on each foot ruins your knee tendons. They don't push those dumb things because they found they were paying a lot in work men's comp: by injury, plantar fasciitis and knee problems.

When will their be realistic people in these positions. I met guys in all trades and they are getting hit hard. Especially oil and gas guys.

Being well trained is never an answer for these people who mandate the dumbsshit!

you have this big OSHA section in this big book, and whoever creates this big book says lets throw a big monkey wrench that you know this industry will hate.

Who ho sits at the table for this and represents U.S.?

Jim Tomaski signed off on ever word of the OSHA strategic partnership. Rue the day they let Vendor in OSHA hearings.

Default Jim Tomaski who is he?

Quote Originally Posted by climbsomemore View Post
    Jim Tomaski signed off on ever word of the OSHA strategic partnership. Rue the day they let Vendor in OSHA hearings.
    And is he gone from the industry? I hope so!

Default The only Jim Tomaski likes whores.

The dude that signed off on our lives is retired. Going to Brazil and the Phillipines for whores. Loves Facebook. And wears goofy glasses with blue gay shades. Goes from country to country banging whores, sells us out? Very ethical guy! Umm can e have a reset OSHA or whoever decided this? This tell me how shitty our government is? So 10000 members of our industry, all the power companies are signed off on this guy! What a bunch of boobs! Yeah boobs! Stupid shits. He got his money. Dumbasses.

Default So blasted away!

I know you guys may not care. I really don't know how you feel. The only Jim Tomaski who is ever in the DC area is a shrivel balled guy who has no respect for any of our families or loved ones. Checked out if he was dead, nothing matches. Check out Facebook with his name and the ugly ass chases whores all over the world. Dis appointed in our government. So wrong. rot always starts at the top my friends! Always starts at the top! Enjoy the info!

Thanks for the info, it doesn't help much , but I always knew there was a story behind it all. Pretty crappy deal, and of course whatever happens in the US always makes its way to the Great White North!

Default I am glad I learned this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Thanks for the info, it doesn't help much , but I always knew there was a story behind it all. Pretty crappy deal, and of course whatever happens in the US always makes its way to the Great White North!
    Sorry Canadians, I thought the dumb stuff was coming from you guys. Learning you guys don't even put sleeves on. Wear secondaries when you work secondaries. Pretty good practices. And you get tailor made FR most times.

I I get my FR from behind seats when everyone drags and quits. Paying a 100$ for a work shirt is ridiculous.

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    YOU ARE CORRECT! The only thing different in the Canadian (especially Ontario) is the numbering system on the regulations.