1. Default How to go about becoming an apprentice lineman?

Featured Sponsor

Hello all!

I know there are quite a few forums and posts out there that have to do with this but I wanted to ask some questions in my own wording because there is a lot of different answers out there.

1: What's the first step one should take to become an apprentice?

2: How hard is the schooling?

3: Where should I look for employment?

I currently work in plant maintenance for Comcast so I work outdoors 100% of the time so the physical labor does not bother me at all.. Actually, I pretty much enjoy being out in the climates. But since I was young I always wanted to be a power lineman. I just don't really know how to go about becoming one, some people say become a ground hand, then start a lineman program. Others say, find a contractor that hires grunts and work for them etc etc.

Keep in mind that I am a telecommunications lineman looking to go power and get an apprenticeship. I only took the telecommunications lineman position to gain construction experience. From what I have gathered through interviews and those in the trade is:

1) Sign your local union books to be a groundman. Apply for entry level positions at power companies near by. Many power companies will hire within for apprentice lineman positions. But check it out to make sure. Also get any and every cert/license you can that helps you. The first of these to get should be your Class A license. I have a permit and have yet to get my license. I wish I had gotten that taken care of already but unfortunately I haven't. I have an appointment with the DMV and will finally get that taken care of.
    Get your First Aid/CPR cert, OSHA 10, Flagger cert, and heavy equipment certs (crane operating). Some say the crane operating cert is a waste of time but it may be enough to push you past other applicants. All this really doesn't help with any lineman experience but it shows the employer and interview panel that you are doing what you can. It shows you are determined. If you can go to lineman school, do that too. Almost any lineman will tell you it doesn't really teach squat but it does get your feet wet and shows the employer you want to be in that trade. Also, some power companies require line school. If I could do it, I would. I would have been hired by Edison as a groundman with the climbing school (got a job offer because they thought I went to line school. When I told them I didn't go to line school they said " Sorry, thats what we look for".)

2) What I have herd from others that went through an apprenticeship is that school is school. Bookwork is bookwork. Don't expect it to be any different than taking a college level class. If you do what is necessary and can do basic math, you should be ok, again from what I am told. And please, If I am wrong, anyone that knows, correct me. I have been told it can be tough with all the work you do but your will to want to do this job will override the bookwork.

3) I think number 1 answered number 3. Try the books. Try your local power company. Also apply to JATC apprenticeships. Be willing to travel. I am willing to travel to another JATC to get my foot in the door. I think most of those who really want to be a power lineman are willing to do the same.

Default It's been awhile....

Hopefully someone who has gone through the apprenticeship recently will speak up but here's what I can remember . Depending on where you live will make a difference in the path you choose. If you live in the N. East ( like me), take a look at NEAT. Northeastern Apprentice Training. Google it. There is an aptitude test you take before the interview and I believe now you are required to have a CDL permit. If you live down south the game changes a bit but I'd start by googling the local unions for the state you are in... Ask questions. There are also Non Union contractors out there but I know very little about their programs. Good Luck !
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Just for an update,
    I have my Class A now. Paid 700 dollars for it (What a bargain!). Got contacted from SCE and they were asking about my Class A to validate I have it. I was told by HR that having a Class A is now a requirement. Having lineman/climbing school is a preference but not a requirement. For the Groundman position at SCE I have been referred to testing. I think most companies are going to move toward you having your Class A already so they don't have to pay for it and to make sure they don't waste money on you for not passing the driving test. In that regard, I think getting your Class A first is the best way to go. Anyway, wish me luck!

5. Default

Any Update?

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Motivedx2 View Post
    Any Update?
    Just got scheduled for an interview later this week!