Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EduardoRunte Guest

Post Disasters and Linepersons

Featured Sponsor

My name is Eduardo Runte and I am a sociology graduate student at the University of New Brunswick, Canada. I am writing a thesis about linepersons (linemen and linewomen) and disasters.

Every year, many types of events cause damage to power transmission and distribution networks. Most of them are not special at all and they can be thought of as routine situations.

But at times, something larger happens: several people are left in the dark and in the cold; the damage to the network is extensive; many linepersons are dispatched to the field, to places far away from home, for days or weeks. This is not an ordinary trouble call, it is a disaster. Even the most experienced lineperson will always remember the worst disaster he or she has responded to.

If you are a lineperson and you have worked during a disaster, I want to hear from you! Just write down your story and post it right here in this forum or send it to my e-mail address (efarunte@gmail.com). You can include as many details and make it as long as you want – take your time! It is your story and you can tell it the way you want!

When you send your story, you do not have to say your real name, but please include: how long you have been a lineperson, where and when the disaster happened. If you want more information about this research, including a statement of ethics and confidentiality, please visit my website at www.unbf.ca/arts/Soci/linepersons .

Thanks a lot for your time, and if you have any questions, please send me a private message or an e-mail.

Eduardo Runte
    efarunte@gmail.com

Talking

ok kid, how about this for a disaster. the ice storm of 1997. the states of Maine,New Hampster,Varment,some of Mass and New York, transmission lines were down in canada.It was a real mess. I had what, 15 crews working for me in vermont and maine and worked a total of about 3 weeks before we were released. some hands i know were gone for a month or more for asplungh up in canada putting up the towers for the transmission.OR last year down here in florida when we got bashed by 4,count 'em 4 hurricanes in a row. we worked like dogs from august 13th until it was all over. this has been going on for years ,but these are just 2 examples. I hope you get all the feedback you need for whatever you need it for,but remember this,this job and the MEN who do it for a living are true professionals,the last of a breed and completely out of their minds. at least i know i am after more than a quarter century of this shit. good luck and keep your foor off the noodle.

Talking

ok kid, how about this for a disaster. the ice storm of 1997. the states of Maine,New Hampster,Varment,some of Mass and New York, transmission lines were down in canada.It was a real mess. I had what, 15 crews working for me in vermont and maine and worked a total of about 3 weeks before we were released. some hands i know were gone for a month or more for asplungh up in canada putting up the towers for the transmission.OR last year down here in florida when we got bashed by 4,count 'em 4 hurricanes in a row. we worked like dogs from august 13th until it was all over. this has been going on for years ,but these are just 2 examples. I hope you get all the feedback you need for whatever you need it for,but remember this,this job and the MEN who do it for a living are true professionals,the last of a breed and completely out of their minds. at least i know i am after more than a quarter century of this shit. good luck and keep your foot off the noodle.

Hitch Guest

There are no Linepersons... There are only linemen... Male or Female they are a lineman. The only Female Lineman I've seen wanted to be called a Lineman and be treated exactly like the men on the crew.

Put that in yer paper...

Hitch

EduardoRunte Guest

Hi there, thanks a lot for your replies

Edski104, would you mind elaborating a bit more? You could pick one of those disasters you mentioned and tell me, How did you get involved in it? What was the work like? What situations did you face that make that particular event important? What type of thoughts did you have while you were there, and even afterwards?

Hitch, I replied to your message in a PM, thanks for your comment!

Eduardo

Soooooo, who's gonna get the good grade on this, us or you?
    Here's an idea why not follow a crew around in a storm. Spend the same amount of time outside as they do. Don't sit in your car with the heat on get out there with em. Get soaked to the bone. Eat cold food with em. And when they go home to rest come back in with em in say about 6 or 7 hours. And when ya gotta take a leak do what they do. Hike into the woods with em. Carry the same shit in too. When ya do it for say 40+ hours then go back and write your paper.
    You will then know what your writing about.
    Good luck

old horseman Guest

Easy lovedig he just wants a story not a lesson. Hey kid most people think we are in this for money well they are right to a certian extent. But we have a lot of pride in what we do. I slept in my truck in Missippi this year for three weeks brcause I didn't want to sleep in a tent with 100 other lineman (including women). We take pride when the lights come on. If you want a write a thesis write one on the difference between rich Floridians and the dirt poor of Missippi. I went down to Missippi and those people were devastated but they would give the shirt off thier backs to thank us for helping them. Durring my one month stay (before being called back by national greed) I never met a single rude person I was treated like a king. When I went to Florida for Wilma I met rude people everwhere. and couldn't wait to leave. If you want to write a thesis about lineman write one about the the men and women who labor for FPL they have my respect, I wouldn't go there on bet except for storm.

Quote Originally Posted by old horseman
    When I went to Florida for Wilma I met rude people everwhere. and couldn't wait to leave. If you want to write a thesis about lineman write one about the the men and women who labor for FPL they have my respect, I wouldn't go there on bet except for storm.
    I think alot of this had to do with the media Horse and I know it may sound stupid, but if the media ( pre sotrm ) says that we shouldnt expect much , the public will buy into it completely and dont expect to be out long. On the other hand that area of Florida is a bit more of the transplants and think that since they have money they are owed good service.

Post Storm FP&L was saying much publicly adding to the frustraion. I know here with a claimed 15,000 subs out there was concern that the convoys of trucks were driving south past us to hit the larger areas when it was felt we could be cleaned up quickest. I fully understand hitting the most concentrated areas first to get the meters spinning and to keep the money coming.. but average Joe doesnt get it.

Since last year I live in an area that took 3 hits. We got hit directly by Francis and Jeanne last year and we got the northern edge of Wilma this year.. we were out 12, 9 and 6 days respectively , and each time not only did I offer the linemen drinks, but food as well.

Be safe

Talking Member reactions

In general more of your rural people seem to appreciate us getting the lights back on while city people think it's their right. A couple years ago we had an ice storm hit right at christmas eve then it warmed up just enough to turn everything into sloppy mud and slush (which refroze each night). We had one farmer meet us with his biggest tractor to drag the line truck and bucket across his fields. However he didn't leave when we had him back on he stayed with us the rest of the day and met us again the next morning. In all he worked with us three days dragging trucks wherever they were needed till all his nieghbors were back on to. You don't mind the long hours as much when you are helping people with that kind of attitude.

Default Lineman

Featured Sponsorr

Lineman Period. There Are No Linepeople. Linemen And Lineman.