Thread: fuse cutouts

1. Default fuse cutouts

Featured Sponsor

a friend of mine that is a utility director of a small town took a pic of a 3 phase feeder with three cutouts per phase. why would this be done?see no reason , but like to hear your thoughts as have never seen anything like it.

Go to Reppy's thread titled What do you think of this type of construction, and scroll down to the third post in the thread and the second picture will show 3 cutouts and some discussion follows about it.

3. Default fuse cutouts

thanks!

Umm each group of 3 is connected to 1 phase telling me that this is some old style repeater fuses ,when one blows a springloaded device closes in the next

Those are what I would call an early version of a reclosure.
    The left fuse would blow dropping and closing a knife for the middle fuse, if need be the middle blows closing a knife for the last fuse.
    If you came upon one with 1 or 2 fuses blown, you could refuse the doors, close them carefully, then open the knives and it would be back to normal operation.
    Believe it or not we still have some in operation on our system yet today.

They do work, better than just having 1 single fuse.

Featured Sponsorr

They seem to work for us, but ours are all on single phase lines in the rural areas, not much for load on them.
    Ours are all the older brown glass so that tells us they have some age on them.