Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default The LINEMANS Forum

Featured Sponsor

There's been a he(( of a lot of New Members that have signed on to this board in the last couple years. Bein as this is the only Real Linemans Board. It's gotten a little "slow" lately. I LOVE seein all these new members signin up. There are A lot of "Old" members on this board. Old workin linemen, and...old retired linemen. I think, it's about time for some of the New, younger members of this board, to start to take over this board, and make it a "Todays Lineman's" Board. NEW...TODAY topics...For...the 30-40 year old Linemen of TODAY. Us Old bsatards, have great storys, great advice...most of which is against OSHA...but, it's still good advice. It's about time some of you Younger members of this board...start takin a bit more "control" of the topics, Postin More, and start USING this board as the "Tool" it was created to be for the betterment of our GREAT Trade!!. I've been on this board since 1998. I have many friends, and many "not" so friends on this board, but I'm proud to say...I'm still here, and Still Love this board. SO many of you have NO Idea....the Evolution this board has gone thru...and Every member of this board, should Thank Byron, for CONTINUING to let this board happen with his own money. I'm just sayin....I think it's time for some of you younger members, Linemen, and apprentices...take this board into....Linework...2015...and Start posting threads Relative to TODAYS Linework. Really!! It's a completely different Linework from Me, poot, batsiht...we're Dinosaurs. You young Linemen...Need to "speak up" a bit, and make this board...what it use to be, when we talked about "siht", new tools, "Tricks of the Trade". UPDATE...2015, you TODAYS Linemen...need to start participating on this board... Or not......
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Well said sir

I'm a fossil of a linesman BUT STILL GOING ..I've just come home after many many years contracting abroad .. Got what you might call a semi related line job now " installing fibre optic on the irish network. " I have tried to post RELEVENT topics about line work over here in the UK SCOTLAND and Wales ..etc I've tried to attach photos where possible of the jobs we were going My intention was to show the massive differences between being a line man " over here "
    LISTEN GUYS As O,L,D says You've all got smart phones ( probably spend half your working day on them ) So what about sticking it out the window occasionally and taking a pic of what your doing work wise .... ( INSTEAD OF SNAP CHATTING PICTURES OF PARTS OF YOUR ANATOMEY TO YOUR GIRLFRIENDS ) Post some pictures that we would all like to see. Maybe teach us " OLD DOGS" some new tricks.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default You do take some good Pictures Bren !

I've tried posting a few pictures on here but I usually get an error message saying they are too large. I've tried "resizing" them.. Sometimes it works.. Sometimes not. Living on an Island we have many underwater cables and of course they fail like most underground cables. If you've never been on one of these failures I'd say if the opportunity presents itself take it. (I seem to be on all of them and I'm as old as Bren)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default Underwater Robot

So that's a "New" piece of equipment we used recently. It had about 30 cameras mounted to it. It could use almost any tool as well as most divers. It jetted out the cable, cut it with a pair of lobster claws and tied a sling to be brought up. Couldn't splice tho !!
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default And while it's not new....

Ever do any underground work? Pipe Type Cables/Oil static?

We have a few contractors in the states that specialize in the repairs but we have done our own also. Con Ed (NYC) is pretty good.

Default That's what I'm talking about

Cool. Now that's what I'm talking about. If we keep it interesting and about " work". It might even stop Reppy clogging us up with BS.
    thats a nice bit of kit. When we were on the islands off SCOTLAND we had to put in temporary diversions and back feeds because a cable went down between the islands of Isla and Jura .we didn't get involved in the cable change out. But saw underwater footage . There is a narrow stretch of water between the islands and we could see boulders off around 4 to 5 ton being bounced along as the tide surged. It was only a matter of time UNTILL one of them hit a cable.

Default How's that work over there?

Do Lineman fix/replace the cable? I would think depending on the length and the age of the cable they would fault locate and make a repair.

Here it's mostly Lineman with UG skills....

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Do Lineman fix/replace the cable? I would think depending on the length and the age of the cable they would fault locate and make a repair.

We are ( mostly ) either ug or overhead. Some areas do have overhead men that do cables .. But they are the exception.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Here that would be cable splicers work unless it's direct buried URD. Rob, linemen do "conventional" UG where you're at?
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Featured Sponsorr

Here, we have to do overhead and underground, we used to have designated crews for each and it worked out a lot better, our URD consist of everything from making up a #2str elbow to 1000 MCM T-Housings&Splices on sub-surface trayer gears, as it is anywhere I've ever been you have got some that are better at OH and some that are better on UG, some of us hate underground.