Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New toy.

Default Lewy is the man

Featured Sponsor

LEWY IS THE MAN...

http://youtu.be/7l1k1FbOOZk
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    LEWY IS THE MAN...

http://youtu.be/7l1k1FbOOZk
    I used to test poles with my hammer and screwdriver.It worked well ....and they could get wet and still work

Interesting tool but typically poles rot at ground line and when testing you dig down a foot and drill down at an angle to test for the rot then when done drilling you plug the hole with a tapered dowel. I wonder how easy that would drill thru a CCA treated pole after a few years out in the weather, they tend to get like concrete up here.

An electrical synsathizer guitar?

The old old time lineman would love it

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    The old old time lineman would love it
    well Bren likes it
    its hs new toy
    engineers aren,t god,s

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
    Interesting tool but typically poles rot at ground line and when testing you dig down a foot and drill down at an angle to test for the rot then when done drilling you plug the hole with a tapered dowel. I wonder how easy that would drill thru a CCA treated pole after a few years out in the weather, they tend to get like concrete up here.
    We know that poles rot at ground level.
    This allows us to test below ground ( we drill at 30 degrees ) at the butt of the pole.
    These poles are in the side walk " pavement" if we wanted to check them without this tool we would have to break out the concrete ....TEST it the traditional way then reinstate the concrete afterwards. It saves a lot of time , hassle. Etc.
    The tool is £10,000 .. But it enables us to check hundreds of poles a week Without having to use concrete cutters...etc

it it saves money in the long run.

OTHER WISE NEIL WOULDNT HAVE GIVEN ME ONE.

Default here its different

Here .....they aint going to pay a lineman to do that.....saying that, they would more like pay an outside company triple and think they are making a great deal.Its just our system

Default Preparation

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Here .....they aint going to pay a lineman to do that.....saying that, they would more like pay an outside company triple and think they are making a great deal.Its just our system
    We are still being authorised to work on the irish system.. So doing this as part of the preparation for working on these poles.
    Its somthing to do between traing courses.

Featured Sponsorr

Back when Linemen were Linemen and hiked poles. We were suppose to check the pole you were about to climb with your screwdriver at the base, checking for soft wood, give it a smack with your heavy hammer and listen for a hollow sound and check for shell rot. Not many guys did all that every time but the more you climbed the better you got at knowing how a pole should feel and sound. The outfit I worked for hired out a company I think it was called Osmose or something like that and they went around feeder by feeder checking poles. That is still a cool tool Bren. . .it would be better if Org could play a few rifts on it tho