1. Default Southeast Power Corp

Featured Sponsor

Hey all, im not in the field yet but ive been trying. A few years ago I had a journeyman lineman call a favor in and get me a groundman ticket. Right after, my dad was diagnosed with cancer so I couldn't leave, it ended up becoming too much and I lost my ticket. Well my father passed in January, and I decided to chase the job ive dreamed of having for many years. Im 27, good shape, 5'11 200 lbs, agile, have a few different friends and family in the ibew outside locals. I got my class a cdl and am on most books I can get on without traveling too far, plus ive applied to the Houston apprenticeship, and 4 more through albat. This south east power corp has offered me a groundman job in florida. Its a big move, but do I move down there and start getting experience for them, then take a call from the ibew if I get it? or just wait to hear from them? I would love to start in the field, just would feel bad if I got a call from the ibew a month into new employment with them. Any advice is appreciated. And any reviews of the company would also be appreciated! Thanks Adam

First of all ,where do you live?What part of the U.S.or what state?There are jobs here in the south,at least here in houston.But they will be here for a long time.I agree that you dont want to make a move only to find out that you were accepted closer to home.I would wait longer,meanwhile Id be making calls to the hall and let them know what kind of position you are in.Being close to home means alot.Write down all the pros and cons of staying and leaving and take a long look at both.You will then see what your facing.Good luck.

I worked for them about 30 years ago and they weren't bad to work for, back then we only did transmission work, I imagine it's probably still that way. Florida is a long way to come for a groundman job, it would probably be better to try and get experience closer to home, it's a lot easier to travel when you are making lineman wages. Good luck. Charlie.

4. Default hey

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    First of all ,where do you live?What part of the U.S.or what state?There are jobs here in the south,at least here in houston.But they will be here for a long time.I agree that you dont want to make a move only to find out that you were accepted closer to home.I would wait longer,meanwhile Id be making calls to the hall and let them know what kind of position you are in.Being close to home means alot.Write down all the pros and cons of staying and leaving and take a long look at both.You will then see what your facing.Good luck.
    Thanks for your reply. i finally got to my computer, lifes been hectic. I live in ohio. Im on the books at 71 and 245, and a number of places around the country. But sucks bc without my ticket many places i have to travel to to get on them. I applied at 66 in houston for the apprenticeship and was told theyre interviewing monthly because they are in dire need of JL and Apprentices. Guess ill just sit back and see what happens for now. Thanks guys for the responses
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by spurgeon18 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. i finally got to my computer, lifes been hectic. I live in ohio. Im on the books at 71 and 245, and a number of places around the country. But sucks bc without my ticket many places i have to travel to to get on them. I applied at 66 in houston for the apprenticeship and was told theyre interviewing monthly because they are in dire need of JL and Apprentices. Guess ill just sit back and see what happens for now. Thanks guys for the responses
    Adam
    Wait for the union job it'll be worth it. Go to 66 as a grunt if you have to and wait to be interviewed for the ape-ship it'll look better that your already working at the hall. Did you look at all the ALBAT ape-ships that are accepting applications?

Default Check your messages

Adam
    Check your messages and go from there.

BATTMAN
    Why did the first electrical workers feel the need to Unionize? To give you something to rail against? No. Because there was a 50% mortality rate in the business. Safety! IT IS STILL TRUE TODAY!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    Wait for the union job it'll be worth it. Go to 66 as a grunt if you have to and wait to be interviewed for the ape-ship it'll look better that your already working at the hall. Did you look at all the ALBAT ape-ships that are accepting applications?
    I applied to 245, 71, 317, 369, Indianapolis I don't recall the local, and 66 in Houston. Just today I had my interview for 317 and 369 in the same interview. I got interviews for them really quick so hopefully a good sign. And I've got a few JL letters of recommendation so hope that helps. Still trying to get out on ground work though!

8. Default hey

Okay so a little update for all who was watchin. I landed at number 12 for 317 and 20 for 369. All with no prior electrical experience at all. I think my cdl helped me and i feel like i did pretty good in the interview. I have gaffs a belt and line and am practing climbing. Getting fairly decent at it. I just got called out by local 71 for ground work. Finally! i start next Wednesday morning for new river in westerville ohio. Im really excited. And super ready to get to climbing school!

Blog Entries

Okay so a little update for all who was watchin. I landed at number 12 for 317 and 20 for 369. All with no prior electrical experience at all. I think my cdl helped me and i feel like i did pretty good in the interview. I have gaffs a belt and line and am practing climbing. Getting fairly decent at it. I just got called out by local 71 for ground work. Finally! i start next Wednesday morning for new river in westerville ohio. Im really excited. And super ready to get to climbing school!
    Good luck, I've been in the trade 43 years, the best advice I can offer to you is, keep your eyes open and your mouth shut, once you learn and become comfortable in the trade there will be plenty of time to open your mouth.....
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

10. Default hey

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Orgnizdlbr View Post
    Good luck, I've been in the trade 43 years, the best advice I can offer to you is, keep your eyes open and your mouth shut, once you learn and become comfortable in the trade there will be plenty of time to open your mouth.....
    awesome thanks! I start my groundman work tomorrow out of local 71! im pumped. Called albat today and im up to number 9 on local 317s list and 19 on local 369s list. Im so excited!!