Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew View Post
    Trying to find out,though; if line is grounded,why do you still need rubber gloves?And the guys in the bucket,no violation of limits of approach that I saw and no second point of contact but they were still in gloves and sleeves.....
    I agree the guys on the pole didn't need rubber gloves, but I didn't see a pole bond, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. As far as the guys in the bucket some places, ours included require rubbers gloves when live conductor on the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I agree the guys on the pole didn't need rubber gloves, but I didn't see a pole bond, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. As far as the guys in the bucket some places, ours included require rubbers gloves when live conductor on the pole.
    Good observations,but your not seeing what Im seeing

What are you seeing,Reppy?Looks like only the centre and rightside phases are grounded...

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew View Post
    What are you seeing,Reppy?Looks like only the centre and rightside phases are grounded...
    I happened to notice that too.......Ok watch the video once more.when the first guy starts climbing near the fence he leaves the handline rolled up....later he is above the neutral and its still rolled up on his belt......some guys may do it that way.Now later in the video,about 1.17minutes into the video there is only 3 ground clamps showing ,and around 1.39-1.42 minutes into the video there is a clamp hanging even though the guy is on the wire.Not a big deal since nobody was hurt,but nobody here pays attention to the handline.....except me

5. Default

I had training with the buck squeeze last year, did the obstacle course and all that. Had to climb a few weeks back to cut a drop for a burning house. I really got bogged down trying to get around the phone and cable mess, if you don't practice with these things, it's rough to use the secondary rope and get the buck squeeze unclipped and all that. I got the job done but I'll tell you, I was ready to free climb past all the BS.

Using a buck squeeze once or twice a year is not good. Too many moves and adjustments to remember. I want to get my crew to do some EZ climbing jobs this summer to keep it fresh.

I smell what you stepped in. Before I retired we were going to the squeeze and although I didn't have to use one being a trainer,I could see the trouble guys were having trying to make it work. And I thanked my lucky stars I didn't have to do that, that way anymore. I do think you have a good plan having your crew do some remedial training every so often when the situation presents it's self. Better to get comfortable at it than let your guys get stale and when it counts need to use one.

Quote Originally Posted by in the bucket View Post
    I had training with the buck squeeze last year, did the obstacle course and all that. Had to climb a few weeks back to cut a drop for a burning house. I really got bogged down trying to get around the phone and cable mess, if you don't practice with these things, it's rough to use the secondary rope and get the buck squeeze unclipped and all that. I got the job done but I'll tell you, I was ready to free climb past all the BS.

Using a buck squeeze once or twice a year is not good. Too many moves and adjustments to remember. I want to get my crew to do some EZ climbing jobs this summer to keep it fresh.
    The lineman I talked to about a week ago had a jelco,I think thats what they call it.But he said he usually free climbs.He works for a contractor.All I know is that if you get hurt falling and work for a utility,you might as well say goodbye to your job if your not using fall protection.

Most all the fellas I know use a Jelco pole choker. Its just about the closest thing to using the old pole strap. Since fall arrest has been mandatory here since the '80s, we have all figured out the simplest ways to use it.

Default Simple way

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    Most all the fellas I know use a Jelco pole choker. Its just about the closest thing to using the old pole strap. Since fall arrest has been mandatory here since the '80s, we have all figured out the simplest ways to use it.
    Just keep that yellow strap clipped and free climb.