Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would this worry you?

Featured Sponsor

In an area that I travel to frequently in the Boston area, the condition shown in the photo has been there for over 9 months. I've called the PoCo twice and they obviously don't think it's a priority. In case it's not obvious from my poor ground level photo, that is what looks like Hendrix cable and the primary conductor on the left has broken its tie wire and is resting on the support arm. Presumably the only thing keeping the pole from being energized is the covering on the cable.

I've never worked with Hendrix cable and don't know how much insulation the cover provides, however, it seems that the weight of those two spans would put significant pressure on the insulation.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by busman View Post
    In an area that I travel to frequently in the Boston area, the condition shown in the photo has been there for over 9 months. I've called the PoCo twice and they obviously don't think it's a priority. In case it's not obvious from my poor ground level photo, that is what looks like Hendrix cable and the primary conductor on the left has broken its tie wire and is resting on the support arm. Presumably the only thing keeping the pole from being energized is the covering on the cable.

I've never worked with Hendrix cable and don't know how much insulation the cover provides, however, it seems that the weight of those two spans would put significant pressure on the insulation.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
    Ive never seen that type of primary configuration,but yea.I cant see why the company would ignor your call.After all your doing them a favor....I would think ?

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Ive never seen that type of primary configuration,but yea.I cant see why the company would ignor your call.After all your doing them a favor....I would think ?

That's what surprised me, especially since this is a quick/easy fix. It's not like I'm suggesting they replace a pole or anything. Which is another story, but my PoCo here in VA has been very responsive when I've called. The fastest was when I reported a rotton pole. The top bolt of the single can on the pole was about 3 inches out of the wood and the bottom bolt a few inches in. I wish I had taken a picture of that beauty. They replaced it the next day. Old pole is still standing with Telecom on it and that was a few years ago.

Mark

The more I look at that photo, I wonder why the cables are not placed on top of the insulator versus being tied to the sides. Would there be a reason for this?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by busman View Post
    The more I look at that photo, I wonder why the cables are not placed on top of the insulator versus being tied to the sides. Would there be a reason for this?

Mark
    The reason should be because there is an angle on that part of the line......is there one?I just cant see why the primary is so close to each other and why they wouldnt respond for 9 months.

I agree it should be fixed. I wonder what the voltage is I have seen some bare conductor resting on dry poles with nothing happening, but once reported was fixed right away. Yes the phases should be on top, can't be much of a corner or it would still be on the insulator.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I agree it should be fixed. I wonder what the voltage is I have seen some bare conductor resting on dry poles with nothing happening, but once reported was fixed right away. Yes the phases should be on top, can't be much of a corner or it would still be on the insulator.
    Lewy,

Voltage is 13.8 kV. In thinking about it more, is it possible that it is because this is within a mile or two of the boundary between two utility companies. This is in NSTAR territory, but very close to National Grid. I wonder if they are believing it is the other companies problem, without coming to see it. Do neighboring utilities usually communicate at all? All my work is for the Navy and we own everything.

Oh, and you are correct. This is a straight section.

Mark
    Last edited by busman; 05-10-2015 at 04:22 PM.

That bracket doesnt look like the strongest in the world,wonder how long they last?

if it was any of your business you would know

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    That bracket doesnt look like the strongest in the world,wonder how long they last?
    look at the picture. All those ties are alike. As far as the bracket goes-- it's supposed to be that way.

All the tension in Hendrix is on the messenger.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by climbsomemore View Post
    look at the picture. All those ties are alike. As far as the bracket goes-- it's supposed to be that way.

All the tension in Hendrix is on the messenger.
    I'm not sure I understand your comment about the ties. I can assure you that the conductor on the far left is not in a tie on the insulator, but it resting on the metal arm.

Mark