• In line with boom

3 60.00%
  • In line with line

2 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Setting a pole

1. Default

Featured Sponsor

Ok. I'm gonna blow smoke up my a$$. I did, and still can, plumb a pole just by standin back and lookin at it as the boom truck is holdin it.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

2. Default

I haven't been on in a while, good to read the replies though.

We have 2 and 3 man crews, we have a couple electric over hydro diggers where the controls are stationary to the truck and 3 remote diggers. So sometimes we have enough people for one to operate controls and 2 to plumb, but if you do it the way I say you only need 2 for stationary controls and 1 for remote.

I love the remotes because then I can stand where I want and work the controls at the same time. I'd love if everyone found something else to do while I'm setting poles, but it rarely works out that way. Everyone is standing around and everyone has their own opinion of what should be happening and most are higher in seniority than me. Today I worked with two crew leaders on one crew. One knows linework, the other does not. Broken pole and I had it in the claws to bring it up straight when one tells me to put a chain around it and let it out of the claws then I had to fumble **** around with it to get it somewhat straight. Half way up the other in-charge (the good one) is asking what we're doing and why isn't it in the claws. Great question. Just following orders.

Anyway... I'm really glad the company isn't stringent at all when it comes to these things (honestly I don't think they care if it's quality work.) We don't have to record who plumbed the pole and we don't have surveyors leaving markers that we have to be so close too.

If you plumb a pole any other way than in line with boom and 90 then any move you make one direction will have an affect on the other direction as well. It's simple geometry. Say you're at 45s to the boom... standing at point A you want some sting out that will be 50% efficient for what you want, but it will also throw the other plumb off by 50%. 45 is half of 90... 90=100%, so 45=50%.

Now I'm off to get some barrels and fill them with water to put on all the trucks. ;-)

Ive never seen a plum bob used on a pole,never seen one on any line-truck.Whatever floats your boat.Now Ive used one for carpentry,and a few years ago I had a guy build me a custom made island for my kitchen.Got the measurements and found the center on my ceramic tile floor.Now I also bought a expensive rack that you can hang pans and other kitchen items on,mounted on the ceiling.So the plum bob came in handy finding the center on the ceiling to match the center on the floor....kind of reversing what others would use it for.After finding the center on the ceiling I measured a few inches both ways to mark where the hooks would go.Drilled a couple of holes and went into the attic and installed a 2x6 between the joist to hold the rack which weighed a ton it seemed.Other than that never used one during linework..........did someone mention a bucket of water?

I, too , can plumb by eye just fine, but, being a contractor that does quality work, I, always check with a plumb bob, its quick simple , accurate, and cannot be disputed by a utility inspector. Of course I am not the only fella , our whole crew uses a plumb bob and thats how we teach the young lads. Quality work is the name of our game!!!!

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    It ain't rocket surgery.. I put one man in charge of plumbing rather than let several get involved during the course of a new build. ( quite often its me). Two reasons..HE IS THEN RESPONSIBLE" and accountable so makes sure he gets it right
    ( it is on the paper work " pole plumbed by " )
    they have used plumb bobs to build the pyramids...

The ancient Greeks had a method to cope with plumbing when very windy. What do you guys do when it's windy. ?????
    Your getting deep talking about the pyramids...watch out! By the way ,how is your new work-mate Oliver Northh doing? I see he is from your town