Default What are the best ways to get rid dopers off job sites?

Featured Sponsor

If your yard has a bunch of pill poppers and methheads, how do you guys get rid of them?

there are a bunch out there.

When I was an apprentice, my lineman would light up bowls and the whole day I smelled like bong water.

i really don't care what a guy does on his own time when it's not at work. But when a guy has to get a hit of crank to do something it out of control.

I am praying that a good apprentice doesn't have to work with these knuckleheads.

when they are travelers we weather them out until they starve.

they usually do half ass work. So the redo's going back and correcting, management notices. And they get rid of them.

they can't work at their own locals because they are running from something: outstanding warrants and bad reputations.

there has to be a system to vet these guys.

Some of them are carrying tickets, but their is no union loyalty in a second. They will go somewhere and work non union for awhile. I don't know how they do that. They just don't care. Whatever pays to put drugs in them. Their loyalty is drugs.

whenever copper is stolen, it's usually the guy whose the drug addict. The guy that's begs for a loan, and gives the same sad story to 15 other guys and drags the next day. It's the guy who's the doper. I have seen that several times.

I think the piss test is bull****. Because whatever a guy does on his own time is his time. But the guy who has to get high to work that's another story. The guy that is an addict, who can't live without drugs 24 hours in their system.

what are your views?

Default Over here

In the UK we are randomly drug tested regularly. " PROB two or three times a year. If we fail we are sacked. NO EXCEPTIONS.

and on a personal level I wouldn't work with anyone that's out of it.

Id point blank refuse.
    My advice is go to your boss and tell him you aren't prepared to work with these guys. ( I know it's hard to be a grass. BUT PEOPLES LIVES ARE AT RISK....).
    Dont get me wrong I am no angel...I've " let's say been lucky in the past"
    Be a man and say it to the " stoners face". Either get clean or get another job...... This trade is dangerous enough.

Ive vey had to work with alcoholics in the past ...and had to work around their " good and bad days". But I won't do it anymore.

Ive survived over 30 years in the trade. And intend to come out the other side.
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope it works out for you.

GOOD LUCK MATE..
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
    If your yard has a bunch of pill poppers and methheads, how do you guys get rid of them?
    I've worked for some...shall we say LAX outfits. Not very long before I moved on. But Drugs or Drunks? I didn't and wouldn't work with that **** PERIOD. Tell the GF. "I don't work with dudes doin drugs or drunks." Move them or move Me. I'm sorry. There ain't No brotherhood when it comes to that ****. AND....If the GF don't know it...he's fcukin lyin.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Hill needs to do something!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    I've worked for some...shall we say LAX outfits. Not very long before I moved on. But Drugs or Drunks? I didn't and wouldn't work with that **** PERIOD. Tell the GF. "I don't work with dudes doin drugs or drunks." Move them or move Me. I'm sorry. There ain't No brotherhood when it comes to that ****. AND....If the GF don't know it...he's fcukin lyin.
    Tired of the drug addicts and drunks on the right of way. Nobody cares. Everything is passed under the rug.

I am trying to take care of a lot of my good friends sons. And I don't want them to be on crews with dopers or drunks.

the drugs are worse than twenty years ago. Of Ed hill had a grandson or a son, wouldn't he want to fix this problem?

Pill poppers, drunks, and dopers know how to avoid drug tests than a guy who smoked a joint at a concert. The piss test actually gets rid of good people.

if I were Ed Hill, I would put on the Electrical Worker where someone can get help and rehab through Lineco or any insurance. Do it for two years. And after two years get rid of anyone who pops pills, drinks, or smokes anything forbidden off all union work!

if we don't do this we are going to have Mexicans and whomever taking our jobs!

Tough love needs to start now!!!!

I totally agree Bobbo. There is no room in this trade for dopers and drunks. I can't tell a person what to do after work but I sure can, and will refuse to work with someone "under the influence". When I refuse to work with some one , it is up to the foreman to do something about him. I am all for helping a guy get straight, but not doing anything and ignoring the problem doesn't mean it will go away.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    I totally agree Bobbo. There is no room in this trade for dopers and drunks. I can't tell a person what to do after work but I sure can, and will refuse to work with someone "under the influence". When I refuse to work with some one , it is up to the foreman to do something about him. I am all for helping a guy get straight, but not doing anything and ignoring the problem doesn't mean it will go away.
    What He Said^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't know your "story" Bobbo, Don't say where you work. I don't really care. Drugs and Drunks on any line crew I'm workin on...Ain't happenin. I don't care if it's friends or not. Really man. Not cool. "Speak up", or forever hold your piece.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Featured Sponsorr

Not saying I never drank on the job but I'm sober 28 years now. We had a guy come in one day and he was wrecked hung over. We were stringing that day so there was someone running the puller and someone setting the drag on the reel trailer, maybe a couple guys watching the line go thru pulleys, so the foreman told this guy to sit down and we'd get the wire in and sagged that day. So the guy found a seat on the stringing trailer bumper. . .during the pull, the line sagged for an instant and became energized in the primary below, the stringing trailer got energized and toasted the guy right there. . .end of story. This is not the business to be loaded or hung over, everyone needs to be in the game and with smaller crews, less time in the job, everybody has to keep thinking and watching out for the other guy until the day is done. Understanding what is the job for the day. If you work in a union shop talk to the steward about anyone you think is impaired. He should know how to handle that. I know management will have two supervisors check out a suspect so nobody is accusing anyone unfounded. Then you get tested and work it out from there. At our outfit we used to say we wanted you to go home better than when you came in. You have a family waiting for you.