1. Default Absolute Crap Diesel Emissions Controls

Featured Sponsor

I am at my wits end with my truck. The regeneration system is pure crap and the government should keep their greedy paws out of the truck business. In the four years I have been on this truck, the regen system has put it into the shop at least 6 times. Caterpillar says we don't drive it enough to get it hot. Well, our territory is only 1.5 miles square and it usually never sees speeds above 30 mph. So the soot canister keeps clogging.

After this last time, I am told I have to drive it down the highway to "blow it out" after using it. We don't have a highway. I have to drive through at least three towns to get to a road I can hit 60 on. No body seems to be able to tell me how often I have to do this. How far do I have to go. What RPM to keep it at for how long? It's a joke.

I wonder how many private contractors have simply torched these trucks for insurance money. We've spent thousands of dollars repairing this truck and it only has 5000 miles.

Please tell me the newer systems are better than this 2008 model.

Just put it in first gear and hit the gas won't have to do 60 just get the engine RPMs up to build up the heat needed. Or get a International I believe they don't have regeneration set up and still burn clean.

Had same scenario. Mechanics hate them. Regeneration procedure never works and garage supervisors blame us for not knowing how to operate the trucks.

They are good for the environment because they spend more time in the garage than on the road.

4. Default

I think that is one of the reasons Cat will be or is already out of the Medium Duty truck engine business. The old style 3208 Cat's were incredible engines. The 6 cylinder models were great as well until the emissions issue kicked up. As far as the Internationals go they seem to be a little better with the re-gen set up. But it still gets to be a pain. I'm not sure how the Freightliners are. Some of them I believe use a Mercedes diesel. Anyone have some of those? Chevrolet is out of the Medium Duty truck business altogether. Our choices these days seem to be limited.

5. Default

I've had problems with dpf emission **** too. Got a big sterling with a Mercedes in it. If you are just working in town and on short trips it's always going into re gen mode. Same with our freight liner semi with a 60 series Detroit. They need to be going down the highway or at high idle when parked. Idle time is very hard on these new trucks. They gotta be rev'd up or shut off all the time. Have had less issues with international trucks concerning the emission control, but they are still a junk truck.

Featured Sponsorr

I have a 11 freightliner it has been a great truck to me it is a big difference between one that burns Def fluid and one that uses it own fuel to burn off

we have fords one of them stay in the shop because canester clogs about every 5 months (cat engines)

freightliner haven't seen any problems yet (cummins)

international have seen some problems with one of them we also have a brand new international it has been good so far (NAVSTAR)

for the most part our trucksare doing ok on the regen so far