Thread: Truck Monitor

1. Default Truck Monitor

Featured Sponsor

Our company is installing GPS/truck-monitors on our line-trucks. The units are hard-wired and will send information back to the office. The information will include: location, acceleration, de-acceleration, and G-forces around a corner. I am a little P.Oed.
    I do not do anything unsafe, but what the heck? I cannot respect a company that does not respect me. I guess it is more government intrusion.
    Does anyone else have these units? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by HiStrung View Post
    Our company is installing GPS/truck-monitors on our line-trucks. The units are hard-wired and will send information back to the office. The information will include: location, acceleration, de-acceleration, and G-forces around a corner. I am a little P.Oed.
    I do not do anything unsafe, but what the heck? I cannot respect a company that does not respect me. I guess it is more government intrusion.
    Does anyone else have these units? What do you think?
    Here the utility has had GPS for years,and knew your location.Some foreman that had nothing to do would watch....now that is so old they most likely dont anymore,or not as much...the toy got old.Ive head they watch for trucks idling for long periods of time.Guys both lineman and foreman have complained to me how the company watches everything now.One guy that I know is the yes man of all the yes man.....he has even complained,so yea....its gotten bad,real bad.The respect a lineman used to get is gone and the companies priorities are backwards.I can only wish you younger lineman well,and good luck in the world of the new linework.

The ones on the trucks in Conn. can tell when the pto is engaged and supposedly boom up. Initially were told for safety so the could dispatch closest truck or if you had problem where you were so they could send help, even had panic button to press to set off alarm in dispatch, later found out 12 out of 16 trucks button didn't work. Only real use is for a forman not doing his job to sit and waste time at desk watching trucks on computer. Be advised they will try to use info in discipline cases.

our company had those for maybe 10 years now. It was uncomfortable for some guys others just did their job and nothing came of it. One time when they were a new item Trouble clerks would dispatch guys to calls and this clerk was actually watching the truck icon move along the city map. She could tell where the call was and when the guy passed the intersection she radioed him and said he missed his turn, he needed to turn right back at so and so. He stopped the truck, radioed back and said he knew where the call was, but unfortunately that was a one way street and couldn't turn right back there, so he thought it would be good to go around the next block and come in going the right way. . . . .that micro checking slowed down after that little episode.

Default In scotland

When we worked up in Scotland the vans had trackers..
    they weren't always accurate ...
    one of our trucks ( that was restricted to 65mph. Was allegedly doing 92mph. It wouldn't do that speed if he drove off a cliff.

but to be honest we hated the " spy in the cab". There are a few " tricks " that can confuse the systems...

i wont drive a van now that's got a built in tracker " UNLESS I GET A PROMISE " they only use it when the vehicles are stollen...
    and they agree" IN WRITTING" that we can't be disciplined from the data.
    Ive walked away from company's that won't agree to this... If everyone does the same THEN POWER TO THE PEOPLE.
    Last edited by bren guzzi; 01-31-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Could be worse.. National Grid had cameras inside the cab facing the driver for a while.

I think it's grossly intrusive. Even when they play the "It's for your own safety" card. As Bren says, you can work round them doing things like shielding the GPS antenna or even using a jammer to swamp the signals locally. But the suggestion of a written and legally binding document that states they will ONLY be used to track stolen trucks and not used for routine stalking sounds a good idea.

When you work in a city, webcams are also an issue. All it takes is some idle jobsworth ratbag to start stalking you while you work.

Perhaps this is an issue that IBEW should be addressing. Although I'm afraid the last time their president came on here it was to encourage linemen to serve their employers without question.

Did I ever mention that you need to shut the old unions down and replace them with new fresh unions that aren't stagnant and inbred? Y'know, with people who actually worked in the trade at the helm?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble1 View Post
    Could be worse.. National Grid had cameras inside the cab facing the driver for a while.

Been there done that GOT THE T SHIRT.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Featured Sponsorr

Umm entergy done that to me too rapid braking or acceleration activated it allso a purdy good bump or jolt wud do it