1. Default Company buying a new truck, please comment

Featured Sponsor

Our small muni is replacing a very old (early 90s) 45' truck. This truck has a telescopic boom. To no avail, I am trying to get them to buy a center over, side by side or over under type NON TELESCOPIC truck. It is the only truck I see anyone using. I'm sure that there is a solid reason for this. Probably less moving parts maint. etc. The truck I use is a newer telescopic type and I absolutely hate it because the lower boom control is separate from the control handle and it takes a long time to get into position. If you are wondering, I have already suggested to the parties that oppose the "real" lineman's truck that they can have my truck.

Maybe the non telescopic booms are better for material handling and can pick up more weight at lower angles. Get you into position faster. What else?

Any help to win my argument would be helpful.

Thanks!

I don't know what type of work you are expecting to do or what your budget is or the size of your crew, but for me for a 2 man crew I would be looking at a single bucket MHAD by Posi-plus. You would be able to change transformers as well as work live line.
    Last edited by lewy; 01-24-2015 at 01:38 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I don't know what type of work you are expecting to do or what your budget is or the size of your crew, but for me for a 2 man crew I would be looking at a single bucket MHAD by Posi-plus. You would be able to change transformers as well as work live line.
    You got the idea, all wooden pole work, biggest we have are 45' poles and a few 50 kva pots, mostly 37 1/2's. I'll look at that truck.

4. Default

I'm not sure what type of bucket your company may be looking for. If it's strictly a Trouble Truck, which some smaller company's have, we just received some new Altecs on Ford 550 chassis. I know the frustration of having that separate lever for the lower boom. But the new Altec control has that function built right into the pistol grip. For me I would NEVER give up my Versa-Lift VO43. It's a side by side over center boom non MH, so no outriggers. The bottom boom goes over at least 120 deg, so the reach is great. EVERY and I do mean EVERY Lineman, Troubleman, etc. has their favorite bucket. Lot's of opinions, all of them good. Just wanted to toss the Altec thing out there. I think it may be a new feature. Anyone else have any other info on it, I'd love to hear.

Distribution trucks we use Altec's of all variety's, I don't like over center side by side booms of any kind, but Altec does make an extended reach truck that will come all the way to the ground and will lay over to let you reach stuff that a normal truck won't reach, our's is a 55E boom over boom with material handler and it's a great truck to do linework out of.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Distribution trucks we use Altec's of all variety's, I don't like over center side by side booms of any kind, but Altec does make an extended reach truck that will come all the way to the ground and will lay over to let you reach stuff that a normal truck won't reach, our's is a 55E boom over boom with material handler and it's a great truck to do linework out of.
    What is the difference in the side by side versus over and under? I would think they function the same way. Is it just a feel thing? I know I've been in both but I've spent much more time in the trucks with the telescopic booms.

Quote Originally Posted by in the bucket View Post
    What is the difference in the side by side versus over and under? I would think they function the same way. Is it just a feel thing? I know I've been in both but I've spent much more time in the trucks with the telescopic booms.
    I worked out of a 65' side by side personel carrier 2 man bucket for years and while the truck operated fine, to me it just took up more room to set up and a lot of times you didn't have the extra room with cable tv and or phone drops or a narrow road etc, etc. Ever since it has been boom over boom for me, personal opinion.

8. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Over center boom with extendable stick is pretty sweet I gotta say.