Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surely Not

Default Surely Not

Featured Sponsor

I was reading an old thread where a lineman stated that his company wanted/let them install hot arresters while wearing rubber gloves.Now that got my attention fast......so I want to ask if anyone here has that same policy,and for what reason would you pick up one by hand....Amaze me please.

No F'n way. But then again people will close cut outs in by hand. And some rubber glove off the wood. However not gonna be me.

3. Default

We change out arrestors hot on our 4 KV system. I'll cut the whip going to it first and attach it last when I am done. I've got some hairy ones hanging right now that I am waiting for an area outage to replace. Old porcelain ones that have blown up and the hot tap wires are bare, frayed and just about touching something grounded.

I really like the idea of wiring the arrestors to the bottom of the cutout so you can kill them. A neighboring utility does this all over.

Ummmm when I gave up linework the general thinkin wuz put the arrestor as close to the transformer as possible which meant tween the cutout n the pot . I never understood puttin em ahead of the cutouts I saw one blow up when initally bein entergized n it wus a mess porcelain shrapnel everwhere and we usta pick em up by hand ,,,,,,,,, bad practice

Tap them up and take them off with a shotgun stick, I have however worked several places in the Norteast that arrestors were bugged on the line with no hot line clamp this was on main line feeders, so there was no good way to un-tap them other than cutting the stinger or by hand.

We don't change them live anymore, but we used to. When we did we would cut the old one clear with live line cutters and install the new lead with a grip all. We also install most of our arrestors as close to the can as possible with the ground lead from the arrestor going to H2, but no matter what we install all new arrestors on the load side of a cutout or below the switches on main feeders.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmm when I gave up linework the general thinkin wuz put the arrestor as close to the transformer as possible which meant tween the cutout n the pot .
    Never heard that. When I "retired" from the trade...we were still putting arresters, BEFORE the switch. Still Are.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Never heard that. When I "retired" from the trade...we were still putting arresters, BEFORE the switch. Still Are.
    Transformer arrestors work best when the leads are as short as possible. That's why we try and put them at the can with the ground lead going to H2, basically in parallel with the primary winding.
    On risers we also put them on the load side of switch for a couple of reasons. If the arrestor faults it will blow the fuse, easier to find as we have spent hours trying to find a fault on the line when it was a bad arrestor, sometimes the polymer ones just split on the side when they go bad. Another reason to have them on the load side is now you are picking up the arrestor with a switch stick.

We installed arresters from the pole in rubber gloves back in my time, The voltage was 4800 or less back then and they were glass. Now with higher voltages and polymer arresters they are choosing more distance or de-energized installing them. The other new idea is they are putting arresters every 3 or 4 spans besides on tubs, caps, switches and risers. . .so there will be a lot of arrestors that need to be changed out and they need to have a good way to get that done safe and quick.

Default all i asked

Featured Sponsorr

All I asked of you was to amaze me....and you guys did