Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: heres the story

Featured Sponsor

Umm what he sed

I feel for those guys that are going to some sort of schooling,and giving it all they got.Spending good money and time,thinking they have a good chance.When ,in reality here at least .....they dont stand a chance because the ones that will be hired is relitives or friends sons get the first shot.Its not quite fair but it is what it is.Maybe up north is different.But here theys just aint going to be hired.....even if the company is short on experienced guys.Saying all of that ....I cant imagine a guy,contractor or not being in the trade for twenty years and not knowing a fuse size unless he is blind and stupider than stupid....but I guess its possible....let me call swamp and find out.

3. Default

It wasn't one guy that didn't know how to check the fuse size, it was two of them. Staring at with one eye closed. Showed up with no gear, not even chocks. Stealing out of metal dumpsters because they thought it was free metal. Bottom line is who cares what part of the business you come from, if you're here then you are trying harder than most lineman to learn something or help someone learn something. There are crappy workers everywhere. If your here, you're not one of them. Unless you only come to complain about union BS.

When I was working as a forman/leader, the same thing happened all the time. I remember one time there was a new 400 amp three phase service going in... We show up and there are no phases run across the street. Perfect. We had enough time to hang the transformer, hook up the transformer, hang cut-outs, and dead-ends. We had a nice little day of course with no gloves or FR. We got crap the next day from the supervisor for not running the phases first because the actual job was to run the phases, not any of the stuff we did, which meant we would have had to do everything in FR and sleeves. The permit didn't come in until two weeks later, then we ran the phases and closes the cut-outs.
    Last edited by Trouble1; 11-19-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Default Omg

Thats sad.....I thought 1 was the loneliest number but in this case its two.I knew one contractor foreman that didnt want his lineman to use the larger gin arm to hang a larger transformer,meaning a 75kva or above.He wanted them to drill a hole and use a small mif arm,said it was faster.Well when I climbed the pole and used the tool that was meant for the job,in this case the large gin arm.The guy came close to having a baby,turned out that his guys had trouble hanging the larger gin arm by themselves....we all know it doesnt take that much time,yes the arm is bigger and the chain is thicker but not complicated at all.What happens if the small steel arm breaks and they find out that you had the right tool on your truck?Wouldnt they then ask why you didnt use the tool that was meant for the job?I think it would be fair for them to ask that question.....maybe Ill make that call now to numbnuts.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Never even met a guy with so many poor opinions or one that gave worse advice
    Well, ya have now ain't ya poot. I just talk it as I see it. Not to degrade Linemen workin for utilities or corps. I'm sure there are good linemen there. I know there are good linemen there. I also know, they have basically a cush Job as a Lineman. Especially if they are union. THAT is why Corps and Utilities....farm their Nasty siht out to Contractors. Contractors get the Jobs the Corp and Utility Linemen....don't want to do. Mostly Back Lot pole changeouts and siht. Aside from the fact that most all Corps and major Utilities, have downsized their workforce because of "Costs"...IE...Insurance, retirement,, medical benefits,, and a rash of other siht they have to give their full time emyployees. The bottom line is...."The BUCK". AND contractors, are a hell of a lot cheaper. As for "worse advice"...I'll tell ya what you old fcuk....I've directed Every one of my apprentices, to, if possible...as fast as possible...get on with a Union Utility or Corp. because....THAT door was closing. THAT Pootster....was back in 2004. Guess what. The Door to get a job with a Major Utility or Corp as a Lineman....Is basically Closed. So...spew your siht old man, and suck up on old reppy. You two deserve each other. I talk reality. Reality I see and hear every day. AND...the Linemen I know at Duke power....who use to be Entergy, who use to be FPL, who are the Power company here in Greater Orlando...aside from the Orlando utility... OUC....Can't say much anyway, even though they are union. Florida...is a "Right to work State". I talk and have lunch with "linemen" least 2 times a month...just to stay up on "Stuff". You and reppy are just...."out" there. Like I said...you 2 deserve each other. :-)
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default Merry-Go-Round

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Well, ya have now ain't ya poot. I just talk it as I see it. Not to degrade Linemen workin for utilities or corps. I'm sure there are good linemen there. I know there are good linemen there. I also know, they have basically a cush Job as a Lineman. Especially if they are union. THAT is why Corps and Utilities....farm their Nasty siht out to Contractors. Contractors get the Jobs the Corp and Utility Linemen....don't want to do. Mostly Back Lot pole changeouts and siht. Aside from the fact that most all Corps and major Utilities, have downsized their workforce because of "Costs"...IE...Insurance, retirement,, medical benefits,, and a rash of other siht they have to give their full time emyployees. The bottom line is...."The BUCK". AND contractors, are a hell of a lot cheaper. As for "worse advice"...I'll tell ya what you old fcuk....I've directed Every one of my apprentices, to, if possible...as fast as possible...get on with a Union Utility or Corp. because....THAT door was closing. THAT Pootster....was back in 2004. Guess what. The Door to get a job with a Major Utility or Corp as a Lineman....Is basically Closed. So...spew your siht old man, and suck up on old reppy. You two deserve each other. I talk reality. Reality I see and hear every day. AND...the Linemen I know at Duke power....who use to be Entergy, who use to be FPL, who are the Power company here in Greater Orlando...aside from the Orlando utility... OUC....Can't say much anyway, even though they are union. Florida...is a "Right to work State". I talk and have lunch with "linemen" least 2 times a month...just to stay up on "Stuff". You and reppy are just...."out" there. Like I said...you 2 deserve each other. :-)
    PM'd ya Rep, check yer messages

Default back to the shortage of lineman

Lets take a look at some possible reasons....doesnt look like a shortage of money to me....that is when the green stuff goes into a CEO's pocket.Wow these big companies dont even blink an eye.Taxes....naa thats now biggie either! http://fortune.com/2014/11/19/these-...6pLid%3D567110

In a way it is all about money, not what things cost, but the bottom line at the end of the year. Everybody agrees the new breed of lineman is quite different from the older guys. The biggest problem is a lack of manpower! Because of that most utilities are contracting out work, but contractors have the same problem, manpower. Training hasn't kept up with demand. Some of the new training is, lets say unusual. A friend just completed 3rd year school. They were teaching some theory that wanted them to calculate the resistance of a circuit. Now tell me how that is useful to a lineman?

Rob, when I was teaching my Boss wanted to know why my Basic electricity class didn't include resistors. . . .I said because we aint building radios! She didn't think that was funny.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    In a way it is all about money, not what things cost, but the bottom line at the end of the year. Everybody agrees the new breed of lineman is quite different from the older guys. The biggest problem is a lack of manpower! Because of that most utilities are contracting out work, but contractors have the same problem, manpower. Training hasn't kept up with demand. Some of the new training is, lets say unusual. A friend just completed 3rd year school. They were teaching some theory that wanted them to calculate the resistance of a circuit. Now tell me how that is useful to a lineman?
    I agree totally....Ive never needed all of that.If I were in school Id be more concerned about my chances of landing a job and making some money instead of dishing it out to a school that may not get me where I want to be.Its a good thing in a way.....cause I could go to the hall on any given day and land a job.....why .....cause the contractors are short too....and their training isnt the best.Another reason is cause lots of the younger generation just doesnt want to work in the first place.....well not outside,their electronics might get wet or dirty.