Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: heres the story

Default heres the story

Featured Sponsor

Let me try to explain.....a couple of months ago a pole with capacitors was hit,the pole wasnt going anywhere cause there were two other poles on each side that were pretty darn close to the one that was hit.A week or so after that the old pole was stubbed at the ground.Left that way for a month or so.Then another truck comes along and changes out the pole.Later another truck comes out and hangs a t-arm and 3 switches.After that,a week or two later another truck hangs the brackets for the caps.Guess what another truck does a few days after that? Sure they come to install the caps.By now I just scratch my head when I see another truck come by to do the wiring.By the way I must have missed something cause there has been two more trucks set up on the same pole lately,and I didnt really watch what was being done.But are utilities that short on lineman where this many trucks have to go back to the same pole so many times?Seems like its that way here.

Angry

Not going into a lot of detail.
    But what I see happening is that old style lineman is fading fast.
    Back in the day we would take a pole, a digger, a basket, hardware, capacitors, etc. Everything needed to do the job, head out in the a.m. and be done by noon with a 3 man crew.

Lineman these days are bucket babies, and are afraid to get dirty or earn their pay.
    Spend too much time in the shop whining about their job.

Too bad for the industry.

Default I could be wrong(but)

I may be wrong but I was thinking they were being pulled off for one reason or another,I do know they are short on people and they know it.No shortage of overtime cause the company only have few to do the work anyway.I loved overtime when I was younger but I also enjoyed my off time,time for vacations and spending a little of what I made.I knew some that would never go out of state or travel,they said they didnt have the funds but were always working.I never figured that one out.These days they all but throw you in jail for refusing to work or answer the phone.I mean we lineman do have families to spend time with,or some do.Its a shame how as a whole the lineman has been treated by big companies.I can remember when a safety meeting was just that.they would go into detail when an accident occured to make all aware of the things that werent susposed to be done,the mistakes and all.Now why even have them if you cant give out the facts of what happened?I just dont know.....I really feel for the good lineman coming up these days,cause no doubt there is some good ones....maybe the leadership isnt there anymore.All around its a bad deal for the guys that are good with their hands doing the actual work in all sorts of conditions...there used to be light at the end of the tunnel,now if its still there,its really dim.

Default Merry-Go-Round

This happens alot more than you would think Reppy. The utility I work for uses this same method way too much. Boss uses the job as a fill-in when crew has slack time (in managements eyes), doesn't schedule enough time to complete job as needed. "Do this on your way by" mentality.

One crew replaces pole & removes cap bank, old bank deemed unusable, no material ordered to replace broken/defective parts. Next crew doesn't have any idea whats needed next. Goes on and on. Job isn't given to the same crew consistently for anyone to be accountable for it.

This is what utility management wants apparently. Not enough linemen to do the work, Boss too inexperienced or doesn't care enough, the lineman there are don't stay on the same crew day to day.

This creates the attitude Eel talks about. It starts at the top.

Work safe and teach by example. Hopefully, others will learn from your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245hand View Post
    This happens alot more than you would think Reppy. The utility I work for uses this same method way too much. Boss uses the job as a fill-in when crew has slack time (in managements eyes), doesn't schedule enough time to complete job as needed. "Do this on your way by" mentality.

One crew replaces pole & removes cap bank, old bank deemed unusable, no material ordered to replace broken/defective parts. Next crew doesn't have any idea whats needed next. Goes on and on. Job isn't given to the same crew consistently for anyone to be accountable for it.

This is what utility management wants apparently. Not enough linemen to do the work, Boss too inexperienced or doesn't care enough, the lineman there are don't stay on the same crew day to day.

This creates the attitude Eel talks about. It starts at the top.

Work safe and teach by example. Hopefully, others will learn from your knowledge.
    yea,the foreman often will say that ....on your way....when he is off the temp foreman also says it even if you have 3 jobs to do that day.......so how can you do all of the on your way jobs and finish your assigned jobs in one day .....when you find out please let me know,thanks.

Umm the explanation is easyful The time management people they hire have no clue what we dp or how long it takes to do it And the Utility management knows even less so a snowjob blows rite by em and then the ball passes over to lower management who may have a clue but their bonuses abdpromotions are based on qualifying the goals mandated by upper msnsgement and they twist and contort our schedules accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Umm the explanation is easyful The time management people they hire have no clue what we dp or how long it takes to do it And the Utility management knows even less so a snowjob blows rite by em and then the ball passes over to lower management who may have a clue but their bonuses abdpromotions are based on qualifying the goals mandated by upper msnsgement and they twist and contort our schedules accordingly
    So I guess the word accordingly is the key word,dont get me wrong Im not complaining.......opps

Default 2 bad

Too bad the old style supervisers dont run things anymore.We might have not liked some of their methods but it sure was better than the way things are ran today.I can honestly say that I knew some darn good supervisors that knew how to do their jobs.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Yup. the Really sad thing is,...talk and analize it all ya want. Linework nowdays "Is what it Is". And...it ain't gonna change. It's the "New Linework". The only ones really btichin about it is us Old Linemen. The New Linemen, don't know nothin but this new Linework. Us old fcukers....know and understand the "Change"...and for the most part...we hate it. You young'uns....Carry on Linegentlemen. It's your trade now. Good Luck and Stay Safe.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default the new linework

Featured Sponsorr

True...my health is ok for now....but Im afraid that when I see a lineman carrying a backpack to the backyard while he has his hooks on and belt on ,my health may go south.....that may be too much for me,and I surely aint going to ask whats in his backpack.....cause Im afraid of the answer I may get...apprentice handbook maybe?