1. Default Guidance for success

Featured Sponsor

Hello I am a newcomer on the site and if you can't tell by the username I am currently a Marine. I get out of the Marine Corps in February and am really looking to pursue a career in being a powerlineman.

THE PLAN: As I stated before I will be honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in February and am trying to pursue my career and this seems very fitting. I already have a package for SLTC for the May program. My real question here is what to do when I leave the schooling and and onto find an apprenticeship. I have read around and seen talks of SELCAT or NEAT. My only problem being I am from New York SELCAT is only 9 state wide southern state applicants only. I really want to move down south but cannot apply to SELCAT if I do not live in one of them 9 states. I really do not want to live up north any longer and would much rather pursue my career in a southern state. Is there job availability right now in the field? Any type of preparation tips or concerns before going to school or before selecting this as my career. I know the powerlineman process to become an apprentice is not an easy one and I'm well aware of that so I know it will not happen over night just looking for some advice.

Thanks again for any tips, concerns, and advice you guys can provide.

Thanks for serving and good luck in your new goals. I can't help much, being up north but there are folks here that can help. I figure if you made yourself a Marine you can make it as a Lineman. Just keep your head in the game an listen to your trainers.

T

It would seem to me that Mountain States has the most work right now. I haven't heard too much about the South East apprenticeship. If you want in the apprenticeship ASAP then I would advise you to not be too picky. My .02 cents is to apply to a few of the programs and just go where the work is during your apprenticeship. Then be picky once you have your beautiful golden ticket!

Good luck, stay safe!

4. Default

Thanks for your input guys. Like I was saying I am not too picky of where I'll be going I haven't been in my home state in 4 years now. I really just want to get my foot in the door and try to make it a successful career choice. My ideal choice would be somewhere down on the south east coast. Thanks again every little thing is helpful.

Blog Entries

Marine, I sent you a pm.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

6. Default

maybe you can sign the ground man books at whatever local you want to work out of while you wait for your apprentice interview, just make sure you have all your certs and be ready for the call

7. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks for all your help guys and I am still in pursue of this career field. Hard to get things moving as I'm deployed right now but I hope all of this comes together I am still planning on using my GI bill to go to SLTC in may. I am just hoping for something on the south east coast to meet my ideal wants but I will take anything after the schooling to get my foot into the door of an exciting career!