Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Saw this ad that duke will have 70 lineman competing for best lineman in the world!

Featured Sponsor

The best lineman I have ever met would never go to a rodeo. It doesn't make sense for a construction guy to do fake line work for free on a Saturday. If you win a rodeo, good for you, you won a contest. But the title of best lineman in the world. The best lineman I know wouldn't do fake work for free. You win a rodeo, you won a rodeo. 100% of the guys I work with would never think of doing this for free or leisure. Just not in the genetics where I come from.

And a power company sending 70 guys. Why don't you have one company rodeo and send 4. 1 out of every 2 competitors is going to be from Duke.

I wont get into what Duke does or doesnt do ....but I guess its better than sending 70 dummys to the rodeo when they could send their CEO.....1 Dummy would be enough....you think?

Default Ever been to the international lineman's radeo?

I don't think you have ever been, or you would know, there are a few construction hands involved. There are also Constructions trained hands, that turned to a good utility company to get off the road.
    I you haven' attended the two day safety meetings and training seminars, then you can't say crap about being the best trained Lineman. You are not competing with just American Linemen,
    But with linemen from around the world. We don’t hold the patent on talent when it comes to line work.
    Met old friends, and made new friends, and embarrassed myself using long forgotten Tex-Mex trying to talk to Latin Lineman.
    The reason more construction hands are not there is the team competition. You should see the decked out utility team vans, trailers, and even buses. These teams work together, then practice together, and some might even be paid to practice. I don’t see PAR, or L.E. Myers pumping out doe like that.
    I wish I was able to go this year, but 5 days in a motel just didn’t appeal to me. Guess I am finally getting old.
    I read the new competing rules, and none of my line tools would have been allowed, I taped a couple pole top rescues, and speed climbing 4 years ago, and almost died laughing. At 69, I am sure I could take a couple of them, but another rule in climbing is no hotdog decent off a pole, with one hook being in the pole all the time, no skidding with gaffs.
    Last edited by SBatts; 10-23-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Why did the first electrical workers feel the need to Unionize? To give you something to rail against? No. Because there was a 50% mortality rate in the business. Safety! IT IS STILL TRUE TODAY!

Default left out video

Well I posted this , but it disappeared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vGKZUeZf4
    Why did the first electrical workers feel the need to Unionize? To give you something to rail against? No. Because there was a 50% mortality rate in the business. Safety! IT IS STILL TRUE TODAY!

I think it's genius, because by encouraging their guys to compete to prove just how much better they are than everyone else they can then demand they work at that speed all the time since they've already proven they can do it.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    I think it's genius, because by encouraging their guys to compete to prove just how much better they are than everyone else they can then demand they work at that speed all the time since they've already proven they can do it.
    Thats one way to look at it Clive...I wonder if a guy gets hurt during a rodeo,what would be the difference if he was on the clock or off the clock.....does it hurt him worse if he is off the clock/benefit wise?

Default If a construction gets hurt at a rodeo

He is doing it on his own time like if he got injured mowing his lawn or motorcycle accident. If a utility gets injured, it would be a work time incident.

duke put that out I'm T and D magazine. When you have a team from other power companies, maybe 6 will go, big size companies, 20 mil customers.

yes they did say 70 were vying for "best lineman in the world". And the best lineman I have seen in this trade don't have time to do fake line work. Or consider it. Or have it as a thought in their head.

I am am sure it's a great thing. And it's fun. would Duke have to rent a whole hotel to fit everyone?

its good for everyone but whose paying to go to Kansas City for a week. And the whole entourage for 70 guys. That's ridiculous.
    throw guys in the competition and stack the odds!

I know a guy that destroyed his leg during rodeo practice. Company paid him workers comp. He had no business even climbing, let alone trying to do it quickly. One of the worst I have ever seen.

Rodeo means nothing as far as how good of a lineman you are. On the other hand, pretty much all the guys there are really enthusiastic about line work.

9. Default

JMO...rodeos are a lot of "Comradery" and "Fun" for people in the Great Trade of Linework. I personally, wouldn't want to compete in one, even in my younger years in the trade. I just never looked at the trade of Linework...in the form of "competition"....in a Play..."Rodeo" format. All my linework...was serious siht. I'm Old though...I'm glad the "new" linemen, enjoy "comradery, and fun...at a linemans "Rodeo". Really. Just not my type of thing. I never "played" Linework for fun or competition. Bein Good, and the BEST...was comin home alive every day to my family.
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Featured Sponsorr

I have nothing against rodeos,each to his own.Some lineman enjoy being on committies,Im not one of them.Some might like the idea of having a parade for doing a good job or after a storm,Im not one of them.I thinks its great for police and firefighters,a few pom-poms here and there.Lots of lineman are like lots of service members including me,I never wanted anything back,medals were nice once upon a time,but now that time is well over with.I have it on paper,dont have em anymore.There is no best lineman,they is good ones,so-so ones,bad ones,and really good ones.....sure some are better than others,but the best.....I dont know if I would go that far .