Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Featured Sponsor

So how does this work in a more densely populated area or in the city or when dealing with businesses?

Default Same way

If it needs to go off, then it does.

Most larger areas have link boxes on the LV to allow some loads to be supported by other substations. Bear in mind that in a city or industrial/business area the HV is almost certainly in a ring so the affected section should be able to be switched out with no loss of supply.

When the UK built it's networks, someone thought about maintaining them so it's always been designed that way.

I sit a bit on both sides of the meter as a lot of my companies business is on the consumer's side including overhead lines and underground distribution but equally I spend a lot of my time with the guys from the local network operator and various contractors sorting installs of new substations and HV network.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    So how does this work in a more densely populated area or in the city or when dealing with businesses?
    Good question lewy,sometimes I think it takes more work , to work it dead then work it hot.The work is the same except you have the hot equipment/wire......Saying all of that when we work alot dead,it means its dead because of a storm/weather....so yea,in that case there is more work,sometimes for days or weeks.....or longer.....It would be wierd talking about working everything dead for me....I mean what would I say?...less danger...more boring.....less filling

Default City

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Good question lewy,sometimes I think it takes more work , to work it dead then work it hot.The work is the same except you have the hot equipment/wire......Saying all of that when we work alot dead,it means its dead because of a storm/weather....so yea,in that case there is more work,sometimes for days or weeks.....or longer.....It would be wierd talking about working everything dead for me....I mean what would I say?...less danger...more boring.....less filling
    In the more densely populated area the system is designed to be back fed ...the easiest way to describe it ...
    is think of our system as a figure of 8.. You can take any part of the system out and always be able to feed from the other side..
    we don't only have L.V. Generators ... There is also H.V. generators.. Up to 11,000 volts. So there is always a way to isolate sections of the line without disrupting customers.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Default But.....

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    A lot more chance of going home alive and as Bren's already said it's illegal to work it hot over here unless there are special circumstances and saving time isn't one of them.

Default Or

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by stulittle View Post
    A lot more chance of going home alive and as Bren's already said it's illegal to work it hot over here unless there are special circumstances and saving time isn't one of them.
    Saving time I AGREE or more importantly. MONEY.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !