Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hey Stu.

Featured Sponsor

Just so we are on the same page, When you say LV Main, Do you mean Low Voltage? If so, then there is no protection between the Breaker (or fuse if it's not a CSP Pot)on the transformer and the customer's main. We don't install fuses at the weatherhead or where the service drop ties into the secondary pattern.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default Lv

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Just so we are on the same page, When you say LV Main, Do you mean Low Voltage? If so, then there is no protection between the Breaker (or fuse if it's not a CSP Pot)on the transformer and the customer's main. We don't install fuses at the weatherhead or where the service drop ties into the secondary pattern.
    Yeah LV is low voltage .. We run at 240 volts in the UK. There's always " at least 2 fuses " between the consumer and the overhead line. In fact the majority have three .
    The one below the transformer
    the main fuse in ( or just out side) the house..
    then there's normally a trip board the other side of the consumers main fuse.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Yeah LV is low voltage .. We run at 240 volts in the UK. There's always " at least 2 fuses " between the consumer and the overhead line. In fact the majority have three .
    The one below the transformer
    the main fuse in ( or just out side) the house..
    then there's normally a trip board the other side of the consumers main fuse.
    Sounds like a lot of good places for light flickers to crop up.

Default Nah..

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    Sounds like a lot of good places for light flickers to crop up.
    Never suffer it here.

We wire brush our connectors.

Default Thanks

That explains quite a bit.

To add to Bren's last post. UK regulations now require pretty much anything on a domestic dwelling to be protected by an RCD (GFI ??) inside the dwelling.

So we quite often have all the fusing Bren has mentioned plus 30mA trip current RCD's after the customer's main switch,

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Never suffer it here.

We wire brush our connectors.
    The connections you make usually are ok, it's the connections internal to the breakers and disconnects that turn crumby in weather.

Default We don't generally get involved in...

... Anything past the Meter. So if a customer decides to install any type of protection (Surge or GFCI) other than their Main Breaker they would hire an inside electrician to do that work.

While we are on this subject, I've heard Bren and Clive and few others oversea's talk about doing all their work dead. I'm not going to get into the debate of what is safer or better but over here in the US many utilities across the country are ranked on the number of total interruptions a customer experiences. And there are different categories for the type of interruption it is.
    What I mean by that is it's not just an outage that is caused by a storm or a hit pole but also what they call an "Intentional". And those are timed. Anything under 5 minutes ( I believe that's still the number here) doesn't count towards the metric. There are fines associated with not meeting the standard metrics.
    I'm sure there are others that can provide more information than me but you get the drift of it. So, even providing a generator to a customer would involve an outage.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Default 5 mins

... Anything past the Meter. So if a customer decides to install any type of protection (Surge or GFCI) other than their Main Breaker they would hire an inside electrician to do that work.

While we are on this subject, I've heard Bren and Clive and few others oversea's talk about doing all their work dead. I'm not going to get into the debate of what is safer or better but over here in the US many utilities across the country are ranked on the number of total interruptions a customer experiences. And there are different categories for the type of interruption it is.
    What I mean by that is it's not just an outage that is caused by a storm or a hit pole but also what they call an "Intentional". And those are timed. Anything under 5 minutes ( I believe that's still the number here) doesn't count towards the metric. There are fines associated with not meeting the standard metrics.
    I'm sure there are others that can provide more information than me but you get the drift of it. So, even providing a generator to a customer would involve an outage.
    We get them changed over in under 5 minutes..generator running leads ready to go on.. Pull the fuse...conect leads to consumers side of the fuse unit. Switch generator over to supply.
    BINGO.
    no body inconvienenced .. Warned that it will happen at least 7 days in advance.. Only issue we occasionally have is setting of a few " ALARMS "
    We can work on the network dead.. SIMPLE.

" it's the future for you guys if you want it bad enough".

You could be right Bren... But not in my lifetime !

Featured Sponsorr

You could be right Bren... But not in my lifetime !
    I agree.Thanks for explaining dead work Bren...I fully understand now!....Learned that dead work needs a tailboard too.....yes I understand it all...........NOT!